Is it mustard algae?

allsbp

Jun 8, 2012
Pool is still a bit cloudy -- in the deep end -- and there is brownish/yellow stuff around the water line --- also still some patches of brown/yellow on the floor that will not scrub off. I'm not sure if this is mustard algae or not. All the white areas (steps, outlets) are brownish. Pool calculator says to get my FC up to 14 for mustard algae -- which it says is about 4 bottles of bleach. I'm pretty sure my family is going to want to swim this weekend and so am concerned about both the potential algae -- and the chlorine level.
Don't have a test for borates/borax -- do strips work for that? From everything I have read here I should stop using the liquid algaecides -- bleach instead?
Readings tonight:
CYA - 20
TA - 140
CH - 200
PH - 7.5
FC - 1.5
CC - 1.0

Have been trying to read a lot here --- and am learning that I have a lot to learn! and unfortunately don't have enough time to devote to it all. Thanks for any suggestions.

Have my CYA up to 40 now -- and thinking I am going to add 6 jugs of bleach to the pool -- which according to the pool calculator would get it to shock level of 19 --- which is between the normal shock (15) and the mustard algae shock (24). But it is all the bleach I have on hand --- so wondering if I need to wait to dump it in until I get the the store -- hopefully tomorrow night -- to get enough to test it for a few hours and keep adding more? Or should I go ahead and add what I have tonight even if I can't get back to it until 8 or 9 tomorrow night?

PH - 7.5 or 7.8
TA - 170
FC - 2
CC - 1.5
CYI 40

IG
Sand Filter
Missouri

That's a catch 22 situation. I know it's already past last night, but if you add all you have then it's going to get used up and the algea is going to start regrowing but if you wait to add it the algae is going to keep growing. What's one to do?

Well that's why we recommend having more bleach on hand than you ever thought you'd need.

If you didn't add it last night, I'd add it now.

Thanks for both of these answers/advice --- I must say this forum is awesome for quick responses.

Unfortunately, today didn't go as planned -- I have not made it back to the store and home late now and won't get the testing done either --- will try again tomorrow -- hoping to not have to start from scratch! Walmart had some sort of double dose chlorine on sale -- 12% per jug so guess I'm heading there. Not really sure how much to buy but sounds like I can't get too much. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20 gallons of the HTH liquid chlorine -- 10% -- hoping to get serious and get this pool ready ----- and hope I remember all this next year and start earlier!! with big doses of the stuff to start with. Thanks for all the advice -- so far --- will need more soon I am sure, including on the replacement of vinyl liner -- it does not seem to be leaking but is at least 14-15 years old --- and faded --- and currently stained but I'm hoping this mega chlorine does will help with those.

If I get this up to mustard algae shock level -- 24 per the pool calculator -- is there a downside to doing this --if it is not mustard algae?
How long do I need to keep it at 24 ? and best guess as to how long it will take for it to get back down to a safe swimming level? getting to 100+ degrees here this week so will be very difficult around my house if no one can swim!

Okay -- this pool we have is inhaling the chlorine -- added 3 and half gallons of the 10% HTH liquid chlorine stuff at 9:30 p.m. last night -- what the calculator told me to add to get it up to 24 FC.. Test at 11:15pm showed 7.5 of FC so added 2 and half gallon more - per the calculator. Now (6:30 a.m.) the test shows only 2 FC (cc - 1) so I am about to dump in 3 more gallon. Brushing does not seem to have any effect whatsoever on the brown gunk on our steps or on the streaky patches of it here and there around the floor. Brushing -- means I am rubbing on it with this plastic/rubber squeegee/bristle thing we have -- is there a better way?

Been reading some on here about metal stains -- is there a way for me to test for that -- or is pool shop testing required? Should I get another bottle of the $50 chlorine granules that the pool shop always recommends? Burn Out speed this process any?

100+ degrees here today in Mid-Missouri -- so mad at myself for not starting all this in April.

It's not surprising that it's consuming chlorine at that rate right now. Keep testing and adjusting as often as you can, every hour if that's possible. I wouldn't keep it much above normal shock level. Once you've passed the OCLT we can work on the stains.

You can test them by holding a chlorine tablet on one for a little while and see if it lightens. If that doesn't work try some crushed up vitamin C tablets in a sock in it for a little while. If the chlorine works it's organic satins and they will lighten or disappear over time. If the vit C works they're metal and you'll need to add some sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.