Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
From pool school regarding CYA
Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test
For the full story read
http://www.troublefreepool.com/started-shocking-need-pointers-t47681.html
Basically my parents hired some people to open my pool. Pre-open CYA was 0. I don't know what they used to shock it, but assume (due to some educated guessing) there was CYA in it. They worked on it Monday, I retested the water again this afternoon and CYA was still at 0. My question is should this gradually appear in testing? Or would it all appear at once?

If they used dichlor, the CYA it adds will show up on the test in a couple of hours (i.e. already). If they added granular cyanuric acid, which seems unlikely, it won't show up yet. The other thing to keep in mind, the test can read zero when CYA is as high as 20.

I would give it a couple of days, remember CYA is easy to add, but requires water replacement to remove. When/if you do decide to add put in less than you think you will need, then wait a week and retest, repeat if needed. In my experience it mostly shows up in 3-5 days, but the last 20-30% may take 7-9 days to appear on the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.