I have green murky water and swamp like growth

ran527

Jul 24, 2011
Help!! My pool was never opened last year because we had moved for the summer. Now I have green murky water and swamp like growth on the bottom. I have tried shock, liquid chlorine, stabilizer and algae treatment. Nothing has worked after a couple hundred dollars. Had the water tested and they said the CYA was 0. I added 4 pounds of stabilizer and shocked. Nothing is working!!
Also, the pump doesn't run long before the water flow drops but the gauge doesn't indicate that it needs backwashing. It is a sand filter and the pool is 16 x 24 with a vinyl liner. Does bleach work? If I drain the water I am afraid of damaging the liner. Any help would be great.

The FC IS 0, CYA IS 0, PH IS 7.2
WATER LOOKS BLUE UNTIL THE BOTTOM IS STIRRED UP-THEN IT IS DARK GREEN. IT RETURNS TO BLUE OVERNIGHT. CANNOT SEE BOTTOM AND HAVE SKIMMED DARK GREEN ALGAE OFF BOTTOM WITH LEAF SKIMMER. THE CHLORINE PUCKS TURN TO MUSH AFTER A SHORT TIME IN THE POOL--WHAT CAUSES THAT?

THE CHLORINE PUCKS TURN TO MUSH AFTER A SHORT TIME IN THE POOL
Probably Cal Hypo pucks not intended for pool use.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then read "How to Shock Your Pool". You will want to bring your CYA up to around 30ppm and then start the shock process. The pucks will not help you. You need massive (but measured) doses of chlorine (Clorox is the best) to shock the pool properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.