9 x 18 Ultra Frame Build

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all
I thought I would document our new Intex Ultra Frame Pool build. We have been planning this for about 2 months. I've learned so much from the great folks here that We are feeling confident to start. Our backyard is rather spatially challenged that after measuring several times, we choose the 9 x 18.
Our backyard is also aesthetically challenged. In other words, it was weeds and dead grass. After hiring someone to clean it up and haul away the trash, this is how it looks.
c6e4d5b1-c859-22b6.jpg

c6e4d5b1-c8a2-7e3a.jpg

After a few hours of digging, we realized that the lovely fig tree were every where and that they had to go. We thought we could build up to avoid them, but we were wisely advised that the roots had to go.
So my hobby set out to dig them up while I worked on planting flowers, oleander bushes, and shade plants. We were pretty bummed to find the root system was really big. While trying to hack out a root, my 10 year old son said, "why can't we hire someone to do this?" That's my boy. We are living on one income, but I offered to pay him by the root. That's when he went back inside to play video games!
But we might just win the war against those dang roots! We worked all day today, and got a few big ones out! I'm actually feeling hopeful now!
Here are some picks of what we have done so far...
Hubby prying out roots. Some real living plants in background.

c6e4d5b1-cd94-f649.jpg

We used a cultivator to dig up the ground. Note to self: does not work on roots!
c6e4d5b1-ce5d-ca18.jpg

One time I'm proud to say my roots are showing!
c6e4d5b1-d099-05e5.jpg

That's it for today. Tomorrow, more digging and digging.
Thanks for listening!
Liz

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hey Liz,

I am gonna work from the bottom up since I have a couple of smart remarks. :lol:

First aren't all hubbies just a hobby?

Second, you have more roots showing than what you are posting pics of? :shock:

Maybe it is time to hit the bottle! :roll:

Nice thing about having natural blonde hair, the grey barely shows, hehe, actually after the last couple of months it is almost sun bleached back to blonde again. :whoot:

Your son isn't willing to work on the roots, my question is what are you paying the pup?

NO Liz, tillers do NOT work on roots, I could have told you that if you had asked, giggles.

At least you have hubby trained! Winks

It is looking better sweetie, keep at it, this is a war you can win! :goodjob:

Tell hubby I said he is doing a fine job, keep it up. Smiles

OK, got the shed doors finished, it is time for a shower.

Cheers Hun :cheers:

Samantha,
Yes, they can be hobbies! And I should pay our pup, Rocky, in tummy scratches, but he still does his business in my new garden!:smile:
We're about done with the roots. I'll post new pics soon
Cheers,
Liz

Northern California 9 X 18 Intex Ultra Frame Pool (mint in the box), 1 hp Hayward C-400 pump & cartridge filter Twins (Boy/Girl) 10 yrs old

We are finally ready to start leveling the ground. I finally opened the box the pool came in. I hope that didn't jinx it all.
Here are some new pics...
c6e4d8a0-d9d5-1cb0.jpg

c6e4d8a0-d9ff-e6c6.jpg

c6e4d8a0-da35-8ecd.jpg

Hubby spent the past few days leveling the ground while I dug up flower beds and planted grass.
Tomorrow we hope to set down the support boards and foam boards, and if they are level, put up the pool! I have a through wall skimmer to install as well.
More tomorrow...
Have a great 4th!
Liz

Northern California 9 X 18 Intex Ultra Frame Pool (mint in the box), 1 hp Hayward C-400 pump & cartridge filter Twins (Boy/Girl) 10 yrs old

Hey Liz, :wave:

Congrats GF looks like you WON! :whoot: :whoot:

Looks much different without the roots, lol.

Tell hubby and the puppy they done good. :goodjob:

Here's to hoping everything goes much smoother fron here on, would love to see a pic of the hose running water in the pool this evening!

Happy and Safe 4th to you and your family. :cheers:

Hi Samantha!

How is it going, gal pal?
Yes, we are making progress! We hope to put the dang thing up this evening. :)
The kids woke us up early, like Christmas morning! :rendeer:

:) How is your project going?
Better get to work or the kids will drive us crazy!! :hammer:
Thanks again for your support! :goodjob:
Cheers,
Liz :wave:

Well, the pool is up, but no water yet. We need to double check levels, trim the pink boards, fine tuning, waiting for inspection, etc.
It was a long day, with kids who were grumpy from waiting. And it wasn't as easy as it looks on the dvd! And the corner joints are slipping. So we called it quits, and did fireworks.
So here are some pics from the day...
c6e4d893-2317-456e.jpg

c6e4d893-237a-3f16.jpg

c6e4d893-2408-4952.jpg

c6e4d893-2478-1e58.jpg

c6e4d893-24f5-3a76.jpg

c6e4d893-2539-26ae.jpg

c6e4d893-258b-e1e4.jpg

More tomorrow.
Happy 4th!
Liz

Looking good, see I told ya you would win! :goodjob:

That is going to be a really nice setup when you get it finished, smiles.

Looks like hubby is doing a good job, but I suspect it might be due to the 2 Supervisors he has watching over him every minute, giggles.

So how long before the inspections get done?

Hopefully you will get approval in the next day or 2, are you allowed to put any water in it at all?

I would suggest at least a foot or so just to give it some weight incase a strong wind comes up, (provided that is allowed).

I am sooooooo thankful we don't have to worry about such things out here, lol.

We are still moving pretty slow on our project, between the high temps and low funds, lol.

We got the wood furnace out of the barn and found out that a leaking water line a few years back had soaked it down pretty good and now we have some rusted out sections to repair, uggggggggs.

I spent the day yesterday running wire so we can hook the welder up here at the house, (the power company started charging us for each meter a couple of years back so we told them to come take out the one for the barn).

Now all we have to do is figure out how we are going to turn that heavy beast around, and upside down so we can get to everywhere that needs welding.

On the bright side, the weight loss part of the project is working great, lol.

Hope the twins enjoyed the fireworks!

Still look forward to watching your progress.

Cheers :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Samantha,

Samantha Sabrina said:
How goes it, sitting here with baited breath waiting to see pics of that pool full of water, you guys have worked so hard to get it up and running.

Sorry to keep you in a state of Antici....pation! (Rocky Horror reference. I saw it one too many times!).
Yesterday was a recovery day, and a wimping out on my part to cut the liner for the skimmer install.
We have water and are almost filled to the just below the return outlet.
I drove around most of the day looking for the right parts to hard plumb instead of hoses and for the skimmer. T'was frustrating. Then when I got home, some of the parts didn't work the way I wanted them to. So had a bit of a hissy fit, and took a break!

Samantha Sabrina said:
Looks like hubby is doing a good job, but I suspect it might be due to the 2 Supervisors he has watching over him every minute, giggles.
Yes, he's a keeper! He does great work, and today even fashioned a patio with a table so we can sip ice tea while watching the kids swim! We did have too many supervisors that day!

Samantha Sabrina said:
So how long before the inspections get done?
Hopefully you will get approval in the next day or 2, are you allowed to put any water in it at all?
I would suggest at least a foot or so just to give it some weight incase a strong wind comes up, (provided that is allowed).
No word on the inspection yet, but we did put some water in it, so we could smooth the liner bottom. The kids seem to enjoy just that much water!

I'm sorry to hear about your furnace and the repairs you need to make. That's always a sad surprise! I'd much rather put the money into something else much more fun and more frivolous!

I hope to put up some pictures with my phone later so you can see the water in the pool.

Thanks so much for your support, sweetie!

Cheers,

Liz

Ok. Here are some pics from yesterday...
The maiden voyage.
c6e4d890-9ce1-1e51.jpg

My son's new do!
c6e4d890-9d1e-0538.jpg

Our make-shift patio for sippin' tea.
c6e4d890-9d57-b09f.jpg

We are connecting the Hayward pump and filter to the pool with flexible PVC tubing. I'm hoping to do the surgery tomorrow, if I can stomach cutting the liner.
Which might have a leak! We found water on one side of the pool, and not sure if it was splashing or not!
Yikes!!!!
And finally, our ferocious guard dogs who just might lick an intruder to death!
Check in tomorrow to see...
If the pool has a leak?
Does she have the guts to cut the liner?
Will Intex and Hayward parts ever be friends?
Will she lose her mind if the kids ask "when will the pool be ready?"
Stay tuned!
L.
c6e4d899-9f36-291a.jpg

c6e4d890-9dc8-d65f.jpg

Way to go girl! YOU WIN! :whoot: :party: :whoot:

I KNEW you could do it! :cheers:

The smiles on those faces are priceless!

Congrats, I am so thrilled and happy for you.

You know I will stay tuned, giggles, and I have no doubt you will prevail with all your hair and sanity in tact, Smiles.

As for the stove, that is no biggy, as I posted in my thread, it turns out to be a good thing, once the cabinet was
removed I found the welds on the firebox had split open and need to be repaired so we don't have a fire risk.

There is no real expense involved, just time and labor.

We have not done anything for the last couple of days, it has just gotten too hot out, they are saying one
more day tomorrow @ 106 and then rain and cool front moving in to bring us back down to more normal levels.

Hopefully next week will be productive once again.

Time for you to relax and unwind for awhile sweetie, Enjoy the Fruits of your Labor!

Ta Ta :cheers:

Hi Samantha!
Glad you are staying inside and staying cool! It's hot here, but I'm sure we don't have the temps you have.
The water is pretty good too.

We finally put in the through wall skimmer, and finally got the pump going. I got over my fear of cutting the liner, and it went pretty well.

We were having an issue with the hoses blowing off from the pressure of the pump! I had bought flexible pvc tubing with some kind of gadget that has metal clips around a plastic or rubber fitter that you tighten around the hoses. We couldn't get them to stay on no matter how hard we tried. I was so frustrated I started crying at one point! So I went back to the local pool store where I bought them, and the first thing they told me was that I had the wrong ball valve (the one that they sold me!). Talk about blaming the customer! Turns out I can't return the first ones I was sold! She did give me a fix that worked pretty well, but I'm still out about $50 for the ball valves I can't use.

On the bright side, we got the new skimmer to work, hard plumbed the hoses that go back to the returns. Yep, I said returns! We now have not just one return, but two! I feel pretty slick for using the Intex return that came with the pool, and the new Hayward return that we cut a hole for. Not bad for a geek who missed out on the "DIY" gene in the family. So the circulation in the pool is great, the pump is working better than last year, and Wanda (the wonder whale) loves the new rectangular design of the pool! I'm so excited about this success, that I'm thinking about a fountain and a pvc solar cover paddle I saw some one craft on this great forum! :lovetfp:

We just ordered a canopy for our patio area, and will put in a few more plants with a micro irrigation system. If we can get more grass growing back there, we will have a pretty cool oasis to hang out in while the kids swim! ::epds::
I'll post more pics soon.

I know I would have never had the courage or the know-how to do all of this if it weren't for the great folks on this board!! :bowdown:

Cheers,

Liz

Pics of the pool with water and Hayward skimmer.
c6e4d88f-3de7-3fc7.jpg
c6e4d88f-3e05-1d4f.jpg
c6e4d88f-3e41-808f.jpg
c6e4d88f-3e93-a0ed.jpg

We are putting in a fountain soon, and will put black rubber mulch and stepping stones around pool. We have done a lot of landscaping in the yard. Blooming flowers in the end of yard away from pool. Greenery such as bamboo, ferns, lilies, and hosta. Had to be sure all plants were non toxic to dogs and cats.
Thanks for letting me share. We have never done such a big project, except having our twins!
c6e4d89e-4011-56a3.jpg
c6e4d89e-4034-00db.jpg

Cheers,
Liz

Hi all,
We finally have the fountain going and put up hooks to hold Wands's hoses when she's not cleaning the pool. Next We need to hang a saddle for the solar cover.
Just need to spruce up the area more and build the canopy. Next year we'll build a deck.
Some pics
c6e4d893-c1db-f2b5.jpg

Hi all,
We are really enjoying our oasis!
We put up a canopy tent by the pool, and now decided to put in a paver patio. So more digging to do. Ordered 170 sq. of pavers, road base, and sand. Also replacing the drain rock in our French drain. We will have some time off when the kids go back to school to finish the patio. I'm so excited!
c6e4d898-3ebc-e494.jpg
c6e4d898-3eea-f64f.jpg

Cheers,
Liz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.