Baffled ! Water Test Results ???

Sarah

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Norfolk, Virginia
On June 14 my FC was 2, but my CH was only 150.
So I added 25 lbs of Hardness Adjuster.
CYA = 50
Put 2 (two) 3" chlorine Tabs in both (2) skimmers.
Tested daily (color coded tester.....I just ordered The TF Test kit today) with a brand new tester and the test looked good.
Added chlorine tabs on June 17th.
June 20 (daily test) looked like NO chlorine ?
Had water tested at Leslies same day, June 20, to be sure:
FC =0 (?) and CH was 240, CYA = 100 (??)
I am converting to the BBB method, so I added 3 jugs (96 oz) of 6% Ultra Bleach.
The pool calculator reccomended draining 70 % of pool !
What in the world caused the CYA to rise like that.
And what is a "TDS Meter" (Test: Total Disolved Solids (TDS) = 500) The "Ideal Range" cited 2500 - 3000 ppm Maximum.
Is this good ? Bad ? Indifferent ? That mine is 500 ???

First thing is to step back and take a deep breath. Now don't worry about what the pool store says. Wait till you get your kit and then we'll see what the tests actually show. Until then just add some bleach each day.

Don't put tabs in your skimmer. They can be really hard on your equipment.

The tabs are what make your CYA raise. (EDIT: I see he mentioned CYA of 100)

You need to perform the overnight chlorine loss test to determine if you have algae. I suggest reading how to do that test, and how to shock your pool, both under How do I: in Pool school, the button on the top right of this page.

When your test kit gets in, get us some accurate test numbers. That'll help a ton.

Completely ignore TDS. That is an outdated measurement that does't really mean anything.

Your CYA can't have gone from 50 to 100 that quickly given the only source of CYA was a few trichlor tablets. One, the other, or both CYA test results are wildly wrong. Having pool store test results be significantly wrong is quite common.

Before replacing a lot of water, test CYA with a reliable test kit, and see what it really is.

Great Info & Advice ! I took SEVERAL deep breaths and read up on the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test & shocking the pool.
Right now the drop tests, I'm performing while waiting for my kit, indicates a high level of chlorine. So I'll test tomorrow and see if the color changes. All through this the pool is sparkling clear ! I don't see any algea, but it may be masked with the gunite discoloration that I have; which actually is getting a tiny bit lighter (different post).
I guess I'm naive, but I THOUGHT that taking a water sample to Leslies' Pool was more accurate than the drops I'm adding and "guessing" if the color is "close". Foolish me ! I will remove the tabs from the skimmer's ASAP ! One last question: will 96 oz of bleach, each day, be too much with the chlorine indication so high ? Or should I wait until it looks "normal" prior to adding ? (If I haven't said so before I LOVE THIS SITE !! :party:)

Hi, Sarah,

Right now the drop tests, I'm performing while waiting for my kit, indicates a high level of chlorine.
Is that the test where you add five drops of a yellow reagent and then compare the sample to different shades of yellow printed on the "tester"?

If so, what shade is it?

Since it's bright yellow, then I think you are OK not adding anymore chlorine. Your test kit will be there tomorrow and you can post up some good results (trust your testing...even if it varies a lot from the pool store or anywhere else...that's important)

Tested the water at 7:00 am EST; The test kit I have is a new Oreq 4-Way. This morning's results were:
FAC: 3 (again, I'm guessing because it wasn't as dark as yesterday, but brighter than the 2.0 indicator)
pH: 7.2
TA: 50
Didn't get my test kit, yet :( ; but I do have 1 (hopefully not silly) question: Since I am going the BBB method; I can utilize most of my current chemicals (pH up, granulated chlorine (I'll disolve it ), etc) What, if anything, can I do with a full container of 3" cholorine tablets ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave (duraleigh) is quick on shipping so you should have the test kit soon!

Sarah said:
Since I am going the BBB method; I can utilize most of my current chemicals (pH up, granulated chlorine (I'll disolve it ), etc) What, if anything, can I do with a full container of 3" cholorine tablets ??
ph up yes
granualted chlorine...could you post the ingredients
chlorine tabs...if when you test cya with your new test kit it still reads high, then you will need to do a drain/refill...and the tabs were likely your culprit. Once you have you pool chemistry under control, then you may be able to use a few tabs when you go vacation, etc...but you will not want to use many since it will force another drain/refill. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Yeah, it appears thats got some extra stuff you do not need. In addition it is primarily trichlor, and that, just like your pucks, adds cya to the water, so I would stop using it.

Any signs of your test kit?

No test kit yet; I believe it will arrive tomorrow.
So the "extra stuff" could cause the CYA to be so high ?And you would'nt even use the granuals if they were liquefied ?
I have'nt used any this year, because the plaster was so new and I didn't want to damage it.
But good to know that I can use the tablets "sparingly" when I am away for a couple of weeks. I actually have 2 full containers from COSTCO (about $90 a piece) :cry:

Sarah said:
No, I know I can't use the 3" tab's; I was referring to the granule chlorine that I described.

Doh! Sorry - I misread that. I think so - again since it's trichlor (right?) it would mean every now and then draining and refilling part of the water to keep the level of CYA managed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.