Do I need to raise borates at once or can I take a while....

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
I am planning to add borates to about 50ppm to help with my acid usage. According to the pool calc. I need about 140 lbs of borax and 70 lbs of acid!! Can I do this in intervals through the span of about a month or 2 or should I do it all at once? If I do it in intervals is there a certain time that I need to wait in between additions to test and get an accurate number?

Ballpark figure would be 30 boxes of 20 mule team and 9 gallons of acid. That should get you just under 50 ppm. If you don't want to all it all at once get yourself up to 30 ppm then bring it up the rest of the way. That would be 18.5 boxes and 5.5 gal acid.
Add 1/2 the acid and then immedately add 1/2 the borax. Brush down the sides of the pool to mix then add the rest of the acid and the rest of the borax. (Pump should be running while you do this.) Run the pump for 48 hours and then, if pH is higher than 7.6 add acid to adjust it back down. Before you start get your TA down to 60-80 ppm and if your calcium is lower than about 220- 250 ppm for vinyl or fiberglass or about 300-400 for plaster adjust it upward, then add your borates.

Borates are effective in the 30-50 ppm range with the best effects seen at 50 ppm.

Once you get the borates to 50 ppm check them monthly and when the drop to 30 ppm bring them back up to 50 ppm.

If you want to simplify the procedure and don't mind spending the money Proteam Supreme Plus is a pH neutral mix of sodium tetraborate and boric acid. You don't need to add acid with it. Just put in the correct amount. Also you wlll need slightly less since the sodium tetraborate is the pentahydrate form so it's a bit more concentrated. An identical product is Haviland's Salt Support. Proteam is owned by Haviland so they just market the same product under two different brands.
IF you go with either of these products you will need about 78 lbs to get to 30 ppm or 131 lbs to reach 50 ppm. If you want to raise the level back to 50 from 30 ppm you need to add about 53 lbs.

IF you do this get rid of the poolfrog!!!!! You don't need it and all it is doing is putting metals in your water!!!!!!!

I admit we got pool stored on the pool frog. Since we were at almost the upper limits of the SWG with almost 40K gallons they suggested that to add some more chlorine if need be. And being total new pool ownesr we fell for it. UGH!! I am going to go out right now and adjust the dial to 0. It is all plumbed in line so I can't remove the whole thing. I did not replace the cartridge upon opening as I intended to not use it. Can I totally remove the cartridge altogether and just let water flow through without it, or will it not work?

Also, where can I get the Proteam Supreme Plus? Is that something that I would have to order off the net? I am slowly getting my TA down, it is to about 120 now.

If you are going to get rid of the frog then cut it out of the pipes and replace it with plain pipe.
As far as the Proteam Supreme Plus check your local pool supplies to see if any are Proteam or Haviland dealers. I do know that one of the board sponsors Poolgeek.com carries Proteam products and if you are a Lifetime or Platinum member of this forum you will get a discount from this online retailer.
http://www.poolgeek.com/Proteam-Supreme-Plus.htm
The product you want is Supreme Plus and NOT Supreme or the other borate products since they are not pH neutral and require the addition of acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.