New pool build in GA

Jun 19, 2012
So after several years of stalling, my wife finally convinced me to get a pool for the family.
We brought in several builders to get estimates and try to learn as much as possible.
We decided to go with a vinyl pool even though we both grew up in gunite pools in California.
We poured a 1000 sqft cement patio of the back of the house last year so there was lots of debate on how to tie in the pool to the patio without causing drainage issues.

Here is how the back yard looked off the deck just 2 months ago.
1f990a8d.jpg

We decided on a standard grecian style for simplicity but put the stairs on the long side instead of on the end for better flow from the patio.
cec72be9.jpg

Then after getting the permits pulled from county, this guy showed up.
e45c0db0.jpg

see next post.

It took a lot of debate and talking to other people to decide on the depth of our pool.
We knew we didn't want a diving board because that restricted us to specific depths and such per code.
We finally decided on a sports bottom pool.
Both ends are 3.5' with a 6.5' depth in the middle of the pool.
c9ebb08f.jpg

After the hole was finished, they came back in installed the plumbing, steel walls and steps then anchored everything with concrete.
279aaf70.jpg

The pool was then backfilled and just sat for 2 weeks. (the longest 2 weeks of my life)
41ef8251.jpg

After the 2 week wait, it was time to lay out the decking and the tie in to the existing patio.
1ac80e22.jpg

4e7259b7.jpg

We ended up needing about 800 sqft of concrete for our design.
We wanted as much concrete around the pool as possible while keeping the drainage correct and not having to build a retaining wall off the back of the pool where the yard fell away down the hill.

The next morning at 7:00am, this guy showed up in my back yard.
3844c24a.jpg

We knew from the beginning we wanted a concrete canitlever edge so they also used styofoam forms on the inside edge to create the look we wanted.

3 guys got all the concrete poured and started working it out.
9e15811e.jpg

This was after they were just about done.
84736df9.jpg

The next day my youngest was so excited about the decking, she asked if she could go lay by the pool and read for a while. :-D

2803a7d0.jpg

A few days later, the liner guys came and installed the liner while I was at work.

When I got home, I found this guy with a firehose.

98e0e3e6.jpg

We are very happy with the results of our design.

6c7dc7be.jpg

0c1b7a97.jpg

Here is my daughter getting in for the first time.
8af6d530.jpg

Next up is lots of landscaping and the design and build of an outdoor grill area between the patio and the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.