New pool owner - SWG giving too high of a FC level?

Jun 21, 2012
Hi all - we just moved into a house with a 25,000 gallon pool that has a Hayward Aquarite SWG. I purchased a TF100 test kit and have been using it since we moved in last week. The initial FC level was measuring in the 15-16 range, so I assumed that the previous owners had shocked the pool before they left; after 2-3 days the level did not drop so I turned off the SWG. It took 4-5 days for the level to come down to 5 PPM, so I turned the SWG back on; last night the FC measured back at 15. The SWG is set at 70% and my filter (a Hayward DE) runs for 12 hours daily. Other info - CYA was low at 40 so I added 4 lbs to bring it up to 60; pH is at 7.5; TA 200; CH 250.
My question is this - is it really typical for SWG to increase the FC that quickly? Should I reduce the SWG to 40%, reduce the pump run time, or both?

Steve,
This is one of those "every pool is different" questions but.....
I had a very similar occurance with my new pool.

Your SWG may very well be oversized for your size pool, you could check the website and see.
Oversized or not, cut your % in half and be prepared to be able to monitor the FC level every day for a week.
See if it is dropping, staying the same, etc. and get it down to 5 again.
You should be able to start dialing in your SWG run time or % as you monitor this number and then adjust to get it to level off.
In my case I am currently gaining about .5 FC every two days so when I get to 5, I will drop an hour off of my SWG run time and start checking again.

The good news is that next year you and I will have everything all set up and will not have to play with it much.

I have a 26,700 gal pool running at 40% for 8 hours-BUT every SWG/Pump etc are different.
Hope this helped.

I have the Hayward Aquarite SWG and and 20k gallons. I recently dropped mine to 50% to get from 7.5 to 5ppm and am only running 7 hours during the day. It is 95 degrees this week and i get sunlight on the pool from about 9-5. I just keep checking FC daily.

SteveSD said:
Hi all - we just moved into a house with a 25,000 gallon pool that has a Hayward Aquarite SWG. I purchased a TF100 test kit and have been using it since we moved in last week. The initial FC level was measuring in the 15-16 range, so I assumed that the previous owners had shocked the pool before they left; after 2-3 days the level did not drop so I turned off the SWG. It took 4-5 days for the level to come down to 5 PPM, so I turned the SWG back on; last night the FC measured back at 15. The SWG is set at 70% and my filter (a Hayward DE) runs for 12 hours daily. Other info - CYA was low at 40 so I added 4 lbs to bring it up to 60; pH is at 7.5; TA 200; CH 250.
My question is this - is it really typical for SWG to increase the FC that quickly? Should I reduce the SWG to 40%, reduce the pump run time, or both?

Seems like you might want to just dial down the output of your Aquarite to about 20% output or so. This has the advantage of prolonging the life of the cell as well. You could also cut the pump run time, but the point is that you want to exchange the water about once a day. This obviously depends on the flow rate of your plumbing, and if you have a multi-speed pump, it could get complicated. Either shorter duration, or reduced output should get you to the same place. W/o automated pH/ORP metering, it's going to be trial and error.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.