New Pool install 6/22

Jun 19, 2012
Hi, I am new here and will be having my first pool installed on Friday. Received a call at 8:30 tonight letting me know they would be out tomorrow to excavate (I was not aware that this would be occurring a day prior to install). I feel that I am not prepared, in the install agreement it states that I must mark the pool site and filter location prior to excavation in compliance with all zoning requirements. I know that I must be 6 feet from property lines and 5 feet from underground utilities. What exactly are they expecting me to do? Do they need me to spray paint a 21' circle for my 21' round pool based on zoning requirements that I listed above?

Thanks!

Jenny

Do you know where the utilities run? You may want to call them in the morning if possible and ask them exactly what they want marked out. You will need to know where you want the skimmer and pump oriented. If you are not adding an electrical outlet for the pump then the pool needs to be oriented so it will be easy to reach a source of electricity.

You need to call for a line locate. If they hit an electrical or phone line you will be liable. God help you if they hit a fiber optic line. They are only allowed to have 3 repairs every mile. If yours is the 4 repair you get to pay to replace 1 mile of fiber and that costs more than your pool. I used to work for AT&T and had people do this all the time.

If you know for sure there are no lines like electric, sewer, water, phone, and gas then let them dig. If you are not 100% sure you need to postpone and have a locate done.

We had it marked once to make sure we were able to place the pool where we wanted it. Thankfully, the locators were just here and remarked. We moved the swing set and marked several spots to show where the pool and pump/filter will go. Now I am feeling a little better! The locations of power/cable/phone seem a bit off from the first locate but I assume they cannot be exact. I pray nothing goes horribly wrong today.

Maybe you need to contact the builder and hold of for a few days while you do some planning and prep work, you need to research what is going to happen and what your responsibilities are. By spraying a line in the ground I'd assume your taking on the liability if it conflicts with bylaws or existing underground infrastructure.
You need to work with the builder and understand your responsibilities.

Regardless, if that dosn't happen are you prepared for what to do once it's up and has water in it?
Do you have a test kit?
Do you know what chemicals to put in?
Do you know how to test.
etc etc etc.

Read pool school asap!!

Thanks everyone for all the useful information. I have been going through Pool School and reading many useful posts on here. I have actually been doing our pool planning since Mid-May which is when we decided to get a pool. I am just a worry wart but I am starting to feel good about all of this. My markings for the pool are basically just a guide for them, they are going to excavate 24' anyway. This still puts me a good distance from the utilities. I think I am going to go for the TF-100 test kit, I have the basic chemicals right now (came with my pool package), I have two pool stores within 10 miles of me for help.

Thanks everyone!

Jenny

hmmm, I could be way off base here, but when you say you got "all the needed chemicals with your pool pkg", that raises an eyebrow because if you read pool school you'll see that everything you need is available at the grocery store, I suspect they *may* have given you some kind of promo chems in the hopes of selling you more.
And when you say there are 2 pool companies nearby my other eyebrow gets raised, since the BBB method is about empowering YOU to do everything and not rely on the pool store.
If your pool is going in this week you need to already have the test kit, you need to start pumping/filtering/testing/treating within a couple of days of filling the pool, ideally you should start the process as soon as it's filled, so you need to get a kit ASAP.

If you've read pool school and have a test kit you can start testing on your tap water, assuming your filling from your own water supply, and get a treatment plan ready. Or if getting an external water supply you can still test on tap water to understand the process.

Again, agree with Cramar. Don't be intimidated by the process of doing it yourself with inexpensive store versions of these chemicals. Its really the same just cheaper. It teaches you alot about why the pool does what it does and why you have to do what you do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jenny,

I know this can be overwhelming all this insistence that you need have the bleach, borax and baking soda and a test kit in hand before you install the pool. The challenge is that it may take a day or two to completely fill the pool and once it does get filled, it will need chemicals and filtration to start immediately. If you fill it up and start using it and say "Oh, I 'll get the pump working tomorrow and the bleach smells and the kids are already in the pool" you will have a huge algae bloom that the local pool store will gladly sell you $100 worth of chemicals that may solve today's issue but set you up for more work later (high CYA, metals in to pool, green hair, empty wallet).

This "little pool" is like a 5,000 gallon, 40,000 pound pet. When you bring it home, you need to feed it bleach, borax and baking soda (and maybe CYA), walk it around the block with a pump, and clean up the leavings by testing to see what "leavings" you need to "fix".

First, congrats! I'm glad you were able to get the prep lines drawn and hope your excavation went well. We had the same thing done here today :) They left me with a sand base and will be back Sunday to complete. I was frustrated at first, but now realize it gives me a chance to see if any crawdads come up in the sand :D

I'm new here too, and planning to do the BBB method but will also be utilizing some of my promo chemicals. Just be sure to read the label so you know what you're putting in. I have gotten great advice here so far and can't wait to actually use some of it! Go ahead and order the TF100, it will get there super fast.

Hope all goes smoothly tomorrow!! You should post pictures of the progress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.