Jun 20, 2012
Shakopee, MN
I am new to the site and hope someone can help me! The bottom of my in ground pool is very rough! Cut the bottom of my kids feet. It look likes dirt sitting on the bottom but it is stuck to the bottom. The pool store has sent a tech out and they are having trouble fixing it. It looks like metal fall out but is stuck to the bottom. I have tried metal magic, they have put 2 gallons of muratic acid in and nothing! Any help would be much appreciated!

Can you post a complete set of current test results? A picture of the situation may also be helpful. It sounds like you may have calcium scale build up and the test results and photos will confirm if we are looking in the right direction.

Also please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detatched).

Thanks. Updated signature. Chlorine was over 10, ph 7.4, alk I believe was 1.6. The pool guy did all of the testing today. I will post some photos tomorrow. Sides are smooth as can be. Only the bottom is rough. Pool was down for a couple weeks while getting new motor for the pump. Had to start from scratch with chemicals. Was crystal clear prior to the motor malfunction. Stayed pretty clear during the down time. Green color but could still see to the bottom.

Do you have a result for calcium and CYA? Also I don't think a total alkalinity of 1.6 is possible. If you don't have a test kit, run a sample by the pool store and have them run a complete set of tests and post the results here. If we are looking at calcium scale then we need to know what the current calcium level is.

Since the sides are smooth, I think that it might be wet concrete that has been accidentally dropped into the pool or possibly two incompatible chemicals added on top of each other with insufficient wait time.

If calcium chloride was added and then sodium carbonate, it could cause a precipitation reaction forming calcium carbonate.

Was fresh concrete poured recently?

What chemicals have been added recently?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.