Replacing a broken Hayward-Perflex EC40

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
Pool is a 15' round above ground. Went to set up the pool last week and found that somehow over the winter the outside of the filter had cracked significantly. Hoping to replace it on the cheap.

Here are two images, one from the current pump and one from the current filter. I'm hoping I can find something on Craigslist just to get through this summer, but not sure what to look for. I'd love to switch to a cartridge style, but my question is what should I be looking for in a new filter? Will anything marry to my current pump? Of all the numbers on the filter decal, which should I focus on for this new filter?

Thanks!

You will want something with an equal or larger effective filtration area. If you were having to back wash the old filter frequently, then you will want a larger filtering capacity to replace it.

So of all the numbers on the filter decal, I just need to make sure whatever I'm replacing it with is larger than 19 square feet of effective filtering area? None of the other numbers matter?

When we talk about swapping out filters, will I have any issues with my current pump? Or do they all mostly work together?

You have a 1 hp pump which should be sufficient for most residential filters. You just don't want a filter that is too small for your pump, but that shouldn't be a problem. I haven't seen much out there that is smaller than 19 square feet! If you have standard 1 1/2" plumbing on the pool you should have no problem connecting the new filter.

The flow rate was for sizing that filter to a pump. You wouldn't want to run a filter is a max flow rate of 38 gpm with a pump that puts out 50 gpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.