Aqua Critter Questions (skimmer basket and heater)

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Got a Wanda the Whale recently. She works okay, but I have two questions I haven't been able to find answers to:

1. Can I attach her to my skimmer attachment and leave the skimmer basket in place - or do I really have to put the Wanda hose into the skimmer hose and put all that gunk in my pump basket? I know there is a canister attachment I can buy, but before I do that I wanted to be sure I can't just use it with the skimmer basket in place and use the skimmer plate thing with the cone on top.

2. Can I run Wanda while my heater is heating? Ideally I'd come home at lunch and put Wanda in and turn the heater on so that my pool is clean and warm after work. But my the guy who installed my pool equipment said I should not vacuum with the heater on -- no explanation of why not, and I can't figure out why it would be a bad idea.

Thanks for any input . . . and Happy Swimming!

1. Give it a try and see if it works. If she has a flow regulator that goes into the bottom of the skimmer then it might not work.

2. Only thing I can think of is that it may reduce the water flow into the heater and that may cause problems.

Thanks, zea. The skimmer plate doesn't work great because there isn't room for the hose to angle down without wanting to crimp - so I guess that option is a "no." Do all you aqua-critter users have leaf canisters, or do you just let it suction directly into the pump basket??

My old Critter was 15 years old & getting tired. I replaced it with another this spring. I did buy a leaf canister this time & it works pretty good. It is good to use if your trying to pick up an abnormal amount of leaves & such. I only used it on initial cleaning & a couple times after. Usually I always just put the hose into the skimmer & let the pump basket get the big chunks. Always have done it this way. Not a problem so far. I love how it works on my 24' flat bottom pool.

Thanks, ultra- I have sort of abandoned Wanda because I didn't want to spend the money on the canister. Given your experience with just using the pump basket and being okay, I think I'll get lazy and start letting Wanda do the cleaning!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.