Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is CYA in it?

1. Back To Top    #1
    tacoma5050

Is CYA in it?

OK so now I know that this shock: sodium dichloro-s-trazinetrione has CYA in it.

But how do I tell when any product contains CYA?
    What part of sodium dichloro-s-trazinetrione would tell me that?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    There are two kinds of stabilized chlorine, dichlor and trichlor, which both contain CYA. Dichlor is called sodium dichloroisocyanate or dichlorocyanuric acid or sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione. Dichlor is mostly sold as a granular "shock". Trichlor is called Trichloroisocyanuric acid or trichloro-s-triazinetrione. Trichlor is mostly sold as chlorinating tablets/pucks/sticks. The terms cyanuric, cyanate, and triazinetrione indicate that CYA is present, but usage varies and they may not always appear.

There are three common forms of chlorine that don't contain CYA: bleach (sodium hypochlorite), Cal-hypo (calcium hypochlorite), and Lithium-hypo (lithium hypochlorite).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is CYA in it?

Quote Originally Posted by tacaoma5050
    OK so now I know that this shock: sodium dichloro-s-trazinetrione has CYA in it.

But how do I tell when any product contains CYA?
    What part of sodium dichloro-s-trazinetrione would tell me that?

Thanks
    s-trazinetrione, which is another name for cyanuric acid (CYA). Sometimes stabilized chlorine products are listed as chlorinated cyanurates or chlorinated isocyanurates on labels, and sometimes as chlorinated tricarbimides. Just different names for exactly the same thing!