Vacation for 10 days..what to do tonight?

May 12, 2009
I am leaving in the morning for a 10 day vacation. Pool has been vacuumed and cleaned, just tested at my FC is at zero and my CC is at .5, My current CYA level is 30. I am planning to add chlorine tonight, but wasn't sure if I need to bring to a shock level of 12 or just get FC back up to 4? Also I have someone coming over to add chlorine, and I have advised them to add 50 ounce every 2 days? HELP? Do I shock tonight? or just get FC back up to 4, and then is the amount added every 2 days going to be ok (no one will be swimming in it for the 10 days)?????

Doesn't look like you picked a good time to go on vacation! The reason being that your FC is a big fat ZERO for SOME reason. Take it to a couple of points above shock level for your CYA. Can you get any trichlor tabs to put in a floater while you're gone? Can you use a solar cover? It's gonna need a 96 oz. jug of 6% bleach daily too.

The last time I put bleach in was on Sunday and put in 90 ounces or so b/c I was gone Monday till today for work conference- Just got in and it was 92'f today and very sunny. If I shock tonight and have neighbor put 50 ounces in every other day will that be ok?

You pool is about 10,000 gallons right?

Typical FC loss is 2-3ppm per DAY ... since you FC went to 0 you may have stuff growing and using more.

Lets assume you need to add 3ppm per day ... that is 62 oz. of 6% bleach every day.

Raise it to shock value 12+ right before you leave. If they are only coming every other day and not planning on testing, have them add 124oz every other day.

You might have a chance of coming home to a clear pool, but you should probably go through the shock process since you have clearly not been keeping the FC above 2ppm at all times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.