Landscape Ideas

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
Could use some landscape ideas if you guys had any advice. It looks plan. I was thinking of maybe a mulch bed around the pool or some type of stone bed? Also, was thinking of removing those shrubs and planting something else to maybe hide the fence,etc? Any ideas?

Those shrubs crepe myrtles?

Got any pics from inside the pool, meaning what do you see when you are in the pool looking around? Distant houses etc?

Stone beds can be annoying. Too small of stone and when you try to clean out dirt/grass chippings/leafs with a blower you end up blowing stone too. I think the grass up to concrete looks nice on the picture you've posted which only shows one side of pool.

Are you finding you want more deck space or something and don't want chairs in the grass?

What is the distance from edge of pool deck to that fence? Is the fence higher elevation than the pool, or is there a valley between pool and fence, or is it flat by pool?

I like what you have now because it is low maintence and won't cause a mess in the pool. What about adding a few potted flowers/plants around the pool in front of the tiki torches. Maybe keep the existing shrubs but you could edge them out and mulch them to give it a more finished look.

I personally like it but if your really wanting to do something put a small brick type wall around the shrubs and fill it in with mulch and plant some flowers in it.
Just make sure you put a mow edge on it or you will wish you had. We installed a few retaining walls for flower beds and I wish I would have put a mow edge on it as weed whacking the brick edge can be a pain.

I would grow some nice ground cover on the hill/slope below the fence and to about where the water flows in the swale. I would leave the swale either grass or add a river rock dry bed and add a nice line of bender board (thick plastic one or three layers of thin wooden ones). The choice of ground cover plant will depend on what grows well there. I am not sure I would grow anything too tall near the fence. It looks like I would like the view of the split rail fence and the area behind... unless the view gets unattractive for part of the swimming season. I like the grass near the pool decking.

For the dry river bed in my yard, I used mostly 3/4 inch salt and pepper rocks (2 yards) and added a 1/4 yard of the 2-4" rocks that I mixed in with the smaller rocks. The mix will need to be adjusted using local suppliers. I just went to the local landscape rock yard and ordered the two rocks in the same load. They "mixed" when they dumped them in my front yard and I shoveled them into my wheel barrow. The area with the rock is 2-3 lower than the surrounding area or they were "piled" into a 2' deep minimum fill and as much as 6". This also slows the surface run-off from my yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's the river rock around my deck. It's large #4 river rock or jack rock. A leaf blower won't move it. It's a pain to handle and haul (especially since I've got 14tons of it around my house) but you only do it once.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340741555.827304.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340741555.827304.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,380
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340741620.559760.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340741620.559760.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,367
tjwaggoner said:
Here's the river rock around my deck. It's large #4 river rock or jack rock. A leaf blower won't move it. It's a pain to handle and haul (especially since I've got 14tons of it around my house) but you only do it once.

I really like the way the river rock looks coming up to the decking. I am planning to do something very similar with our pool. I told the wife I don't want to have deal with cutting grass inside the fence.

Do you have a ground cover (plastic sheet, etc.) under the river rock?

Yes I used a fabric product. its farily expensive to cover a large area but it works and it takes a LOT of punishment without tearing. You really need something under the rock to keep it clean, moreso than keeping weeds out (which is an impossibility). If you have rock on bare ground everytime it rains or you water your plants the mud splashes up on your rocks. I have this same rock all around the front of our house too.

I didnt want to take a lawnmower inside my fence either. And I quickly grew tired of trying to keep mulch looking fresh at our old house so I said I would never buy the stuff again. This stuff is so heavy that anything that gets in it, you can take the leaf blower to it and just blow it out and the rock stays put

It's been almost a year since I posted in this thread.

As inspired by tjwaggoner, we have been laying river rock throughout the area inside the pool fence. We had 10 cubic yards delivered and have just about put all of that down. But, we need more. So, tomorrow, we are having another 5 cubic yards delivered. Because of where we had to have the pool installed, we have multiple steep slopes. So, we've got some very large rocks at the base of these slopes to keep the rock from sliding during heavy rains.

It doesn't look that big, but this is 10 cubic yards of river rock.

We installed landscape lights last fall after the pool build was completed. Here is some progress on putting down the river rock.

The VERY STEEP slope that required some large river rocks.

An early evening picture.

How about adding some small beds on the edge of the decking with flowers, grasses, short shrubs or colorful ground cover.

It's not the best photo, but you can see what we did on ours. Of course we do not have the nice view you have. You can see more on my build link in my sig.

8743501323_07113361a3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.