Acceptable salts?

RobbieH said:
JasonLion said:
Avoid Windsor® Rust Remover, as it has an added rust remover.

I found this humorous. :) Kind of like a jar of peanuts that says "may contain peanuts or may have been processed in a plant that also processes peanuts"

LOL...Just noticing that now. It is good for a chuckle indeed!! I'm sure Jason posted it tongue-in-cheek! :)

If that's all the extra time it takes, then you're right, it isn't an issue at all. Why do SWG manufacturers recommend letting the salt dissolve for 24 hours prior to turning on SWG?

EDIT: I have read about Morton System Saver 2 here on the forum but could never find it in a store here in Canada. Just found some info online illustrating the connection between Morton and Windsor salts. Here's a snippet:

The Canadian Salt Company Limited, also known as Windsor Salt, is a part of Morton International Inc., located in Chicago, Illinois. Together, we employ close to 3,000 people in our salt mines, production manufactories, warehouses and offices throughout the United States, Canada and the Island of Inaqua in the Bahamas.

Taken from: http://www.windsorsalt.com/careers/index.html

Salt dissolves really quickly, but the resulting very salty water doesn't mix into the rest of the water all that easily. You want 24 hours with the pump running to make sure the salty water is throughly mixed into the less salty water and the salt is uniformly distributed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Samantha Sabrina said:
Why pay an extra couple of bucks just to get a bag that says "Pool Salt" when "Water Ssoftener" salt is the same thing?

Pool salt takes a little less time to dissolve.

Mostly I ordered it because I could order it for pick up in store, so the 12 bags I needed were on a cart and ready to go :) saved a little time and back pain. For the extra 12.00 (1.00/bag vs water softener salt from HD), it was worth it.

Mine took 32 bags. The Diamond Crystal bags were less than $4 each. I ordered them from Home Depot onlne, and they were waiting on me at the store when I got there. I dumped them all in at once, and it was all dissolved in a few hours. If it's worth it to you to pay more for exactly the same thing but with a Morton labelthat says it's for pools, I guess. ;)

Kind of like that guy a couple of days ago who's wife would not let him use Clorox because it wasn't "made for pools". :)

RobbieH said:
Mine took 32 bags. The Diamond Crystal bags were less than $4 each. I ordered them from Home Depot onlne, and they were waiting on me at the store when I got there. I dumped them all in at once, and it was all dissolved in a few hours. If it's worth it to you to pay more for exactly the same thing but with a Morton labelthat says it's for pools, I guess. ;)

Kind of like that guy a couple of days ago who's wife would not let him use Clorox because it wasn't "made for pools". :)

Lol, actually her problem was Clorox is for doing laundry!

Anyway, you were inside my head when you posted that! :goodjob: Great minds and all that, giggles.

So while you are in there, what should I have for breakfast?....If you can wade through the cobwebs that is... :cheers:

So. I buy 6 bags of Windsor System Saver 2 salt and dump them in the pool. As I'm collecting the empty bags I notice this written on the back. "...contains high purity salt with patented resin cleaning additives". Salt dissolved and SWG seems to be working fine. Will these "patented resin cleaning additives" have any negative effect on my water or equipment?

GC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.