Help Lowering High TA

Jun 16, 2012
We recently filled up our pool about 6400gal, with well water, and have high TA. I have been trying to lower the TA with Muriatic acid (the percent is <25% as shown by msds). But doesn't seem to be doing much. It has lowered the pH a little, but not like what i thought. Is it better to keep adding it the same day until the pH is lowered, or just a little at a time.
Also the alkalinity showed atleast 240 on my test strip, but i imagine it is 300 or more.

starting stats:
pH ~8.5
TA ~300

I've already added about 90oz over 3 days.

stats now:
pH ~7.8
TA ~240

is there anything i should do different maybe try a better acid?

Your test strips are not particularly accurate. Especially when you are on the upper or lower bound of the strip - so it's possible your PH was higher than 8.5 and your TA higher than you think.

Lowering TA is a slow process (not a one time thing) - but you should be seeing your PH respond to the acid as you expect once it's in a range you can test for. If it doesn't it's either testing error or the acid is weaker than you think.

If you are using muriatic acid - then switching to dry acid isn't going to make a difference.

yea even after testing and adding a quart of the safe MA it didn't have much if any real effect. I'm going to have to find some 31% i guess the stores were all sold out last time i checked lol.

ok so i got 2 gal of the good stuff, and have lowered the pH to around 7, and have pointed the powerhead up to aerate the water. I think the Alk is closer to 200 or less, but it's hard to tell. What do i need to do now, do i need to keep the pH at about 7 until the alk is lowered, or let it rise back up and just add more acid later?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't put it that way, but still that is essentially true. Acid lowers both PH and TA. We are limited by the fact that PH going too low will cause damage. Aeration is what allows us to raise the PH back up without also raising TA back up. Any of the normal PH increasing chemicals would also raise TA back above where it started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.