Vinyl IG bonding

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I know another bonding thread. I have read all of them and have read all the code on this. I just want to put it out to make sure I have everything covered. I will be using a licensed electrician that is a friend of the family but I do not believe he is up to code on pool bonding as that is not his specialty.

I will start at the pump, filter , no heater , then go to light niche which as I understand meets code for bonding the water. Then bond the pool walls with a bonding lug attached to the steel wall through a bolt , next the aluminum coping with a lug but with SS washer on each side of the bonding lug. I will then go around pool hitting each piece of coping and in 4 equally spaced places on the wall. Also bond to rebar in the deck with lugs at 4 spots. I will have no ladders, diving boards or heaters.

Anything I am missing? Also does this have to be one continuous wire or can it be cut and attached with lugs. Like run one complete loop of wire around the pool and connect the ends with a lug. Then branch off and connect all others like above or does it have to be no cuts in the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspectors vary on the continuous piece of wire question. It is best to ask your local inspector. Connections are only allowed using split bolt connectors designed for use with bonding systems. However, where they can appear varies from inspector to inspector. The most common rule is that there be one continuous loop of wire all the way around with no splices that also runs to the pump, and then things like the four connections to the pool walls can be separate pieces that branch off from that, but as I said it varies and some inspectors want the entire thing done from one piece of wire and others allow splices all over the place.

Typically the coping is bolted to the walls which are bonded in four places and that is good enough. However if there is insulation preventing a good electrical connection they will need to be individually connected. This is not generally done with the main loop, which must be 18 to 24 inches out from the wall and 4-6 inches below sub-grade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.