Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual pool vacuum suction

1. Back To Top    #1

Manual pool vacuum suction

I know that most manual pool vauums attach to the inside of the skimmer and work off the main pool pump. If I understand correctly, these work best if you can isolate the suction to just the skimmer.

Our configuration does not allow seperation of the main drains and the skimmer. Would that still be an effective way to clean or would the suction be too low? The polaris cleaner does a great job of cleaning the pool, but I'd like a way to clean out the spa a little more effectively.

Can a manual vacuum be attached to the intake for the polaris, which runs off its own pump?

TIA.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Manual pool vacuum suction

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    I know that most manual pool vauums attach to the inside of the skimmer and work off the main pool pump. If I understand correctly, these work best if you can isolate the suction to just the skimmer.
    Our configuration does not allow seperation of the main drains and the skimmer. Would that still be an effective way to clean or would the suction be too low?
    Every pool is different. It might work just fine. Only way you can find out is to try it.
    The polaris cleaner does a great job of cleaning the pool, but I'd like a way to clean out the spa a little more effectively.
    A spa wand is among the easiest ways to clean a spa It is manually operated and it works extremely well! Some of them even come with variousl brush and nozzle attachments.
    Can a manual vacuum be attached to the intake for the polaris, which runs off its own pump?
    In a word, No. Don't even think about trying this!
    TIA.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sean,

I have no separation either. However, I can control each skimmer and shut them down if necessary. If you have that ability, shut one of your skimmers down. That should provide you enough suction to vacuum. I have done mine a couple of times with plenty of suction necessary. Good Luck.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Manual pool vacuum suction

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    A spa wand is among the easiest ways to clean a spa It is manually operated and it works extremely well! Some of them even come with variousl brush and nozzle attachments.
    Like this?
    http://www.poolsinc.com/spawand1.html

That looks like it will do exactly what I need.
    Thanks!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Exactly what you need. I have one made by Game. It was cheaper than the Polaris, came with several snap on attachments (brush, skimmer and 3 different sized nozzles) and a mounting bracket so it's always handy!