Considering adding salt to vinyl IG pool for water feel

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
I know it's been covered a lot and I've read a lot here. I have a salt test kit coming. I'm using chrloinator pucks for now to understand demand and raise my CYA a bit. Pool gets all day sun, 10+ hours. There is no SWG.

What I'm asking is should I do this (I know it's a HIGHLY subjective opinion) and how? I know what salt to get, walmart has big bags of pool salt with no additives, but do I have much to gain from it?

FC=7 (trying to figure out how long I can go on pucks without touching it, I test daily)
CC=0
CYA=35
TA=110 (vinyl liner, using pucks for now)
pH=7.6

Heck, the water feels great right now but if I can soften it a bit I will. I'm in Louisville, KY - we have pretty Dang good water.

It is very subjective. Certainly more people prefer the feel after adding salt, but some can't feel any difference and a few don't like it. You can use water softener salt without additives, which is often less expensive.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to do baby steps on water softener salt. My folks have had a water softener in their house since I was a little kid 30 years ago (hey kid - hump this 80 pound bag and dump it in).

I know I'm a newbie, but what I've learned from keeping salt water reef tanks is...small steps, test and see what happens.

The water softener salt I'm used to is in marble+ sized chunks. So add and brush them around?

I just added salt to my pool. I added half of what was recommended, swam for a couple weeks, then added the rest because it was feeling so good. silkier. i used pool salt from menards. it looks like table salt and dissolved in a matter of minutes

Solar salt is smaller pieces and dissolve quickly.

Just make sure there are no additives in what you have and brush it around.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.