DIY Pool Kits

Jun 19, 2012
Hi everyone!!

We are a TX(DFW) family NEEDING a pool!! BUT(and this is a big 'but')...we can't afford a $20K pool. So, after doing some research I found a lot of sites offering DIY inground pool kits. All the websites sell the same brand of pool kit...Titan Steel I think it's called. Now, we would hire someone to do the work for us and the sites offer customer support for all their purchasers(they are pool builders).

My question is...have any of you done this? If so, I would love some feedback--good and bad.

I do realize that most people are going to say 'go with a professional'...we just can't afford that and probably never will be able to(we are a military family).

THANK YOU!!

Many people have done this, if you search for DIY Pool Kits here you will find plenty of info. I am going to begin my DIY Pool kit in a few weeks, most likely late July. I will certainly document every step and hiccup along the way in an effort to help others hear.

You would be serving as your own contractor on a project like that, and hiring sub-contractors to do the work.

That means if you hire people with no pool install experience you will have to be the one running the show, constantly watching EVERY detail, EVERY step the workers take, so that means YOU would have to be the one that KNOWS what is supposed to be done, in what order it HAS to be done, Ect., Ect..

You also realize that taking this approach will most likely result in no warranty on the pool, (they could always be able to come back and say it was not done properly).

If you have the time to study the instructions, and be present during the entire project, and are comfortable that you could supervise such a project then go for it, just make sure you understand the risks involved with laying down that much money and possibly having people make mistakes.

I understand your situation, and wish you well with whatever you do!

Ssgumby--Can't wait to follow your pool build! I've tried doing searches for a DIY pool build and nothing is coming up!!

Samantha--We will be hiring pool builders to be the contractors, so hopefully they will know what they are doing! :)

I am in the same process. Started out I was going to do everything but the dig. Then after studying it, it will take up to much of my time which I do not have a lot of. Also finding professional pool people to do side jobs is really hard. Trust me. I spent 2 months calling people and most pool builders simply will not work with you unless you buy the pool from them and have them do all the work. I almost gave up but found one builder that is going to do more than what I wanted but this would be the only way to get the precise and time consuming jobs done, exe the excavation and pool Crete bottom. I ended up signing a contract for him to dig it, put up walls ,do the pool bottom , install the liner and cut in everything. I will have to plumb, backfill, electrical , and concrete. I will end up spending around 18k so about a 10k savings plus I have substantially more upgraded equipment than what other pool builders wanting 30k for a similar setup was offering. But staring out i was thinking 12k or so. If I were you my 1st step would be calling pool builders to see if they do side jobs like that. If not start calling excavators, concrete ppl for the pool Krete and deck, the rest I think could be done on your own if you are comfortable with those things and have the time. Here is a good DIY thread. I believe they did it all themselves.
GL either way you go!

viewtopic.php?t=36872

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to tfp, TXFamilyof6 :wave:

If you are planning on hiring pool builder to install this, I am not sure you will be under your budget. If 20k is above your budget, I would think you will need to DIY most of it, and don't forget the pool kit eat up a good portion or your budget.

Have you thought about an above ground pool...maybe with a dug out deep end. Much cheaper, even if you have a pool builder build it.

Have you considered getting a large Intex (or similar) or an Above Ground (Doughboy, Aqualeader...) pool to see if you are a good candidate for a big pool? You could get an excavation company in to level a spot and you can build the pool in a week or less. It would get you swimming this month, for something close to $1000 for a larger Intex or $5,000-10 for a larger AG.

I am not trying to discourage you. If you have never had a large pool, it is an inexpensive way to try owning a 5000+ gallon plus "pet" without a permanent mortgage (and hole in your yard). I did the same thing. I started with a 6 foot x 35 inch Easy up for two seasons and gradually moved up to a 15 foot Easy Up in a place I leveled in my back yard to my current pet that is 21 feet round with a deck that cost twice as much as the pool.

July4%2B012.jpg

My largest EasySet pool

IMG_4836.JPG

My current pool getting a new liner. My BIL "maintained" my pool and killed my liner with chemical burns

You're already looking at $7k-$10k just for the pool kit with pumps, etc. and unless you can do a LOT of the work yourself, I doubt you'll finish the project for less than $20k, then you have to consider the costs of running the pumps, chemicals, maintenance, etc... I think Techguy gave the best advice on starting with an AG pool.

Thanks for the info everyone!

The pool company(for the kit) said that the cost of construction(if I hired the work out) is generally equal to the purchase of the pool. The pool we are interested in costs about $7K...so we were thinking $14K total for the pool. I am guessing that this is low for the construction? They also said that they would help find a person to do the cement work and dig work...hmmmm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that is very low if you are talking about a complete install. Now if you are just talking someone digging the hole and doing the cement/ pool Crete work that is probably about right depending on your area. I would call around in your area because prices may be different before ordering the pool. There is no way for the pool supplier to know how much someone will charge you for labor. They are just trying to sell you a pool. Also understand there are more costs involved if you do not get someone to do all the work. Electrical, plumbing, backfill, cement for setting the walls, exe. I would get together what everything will cost before you order the pool and make sure you understand the process. GL

kyle11 said:
Yes that is very low if you are talking about a complete install. Now if you are just talking someone digging the hole and doing the cement/ pool Crete work that is probably about right depending on your area. I would call around in your area because prices may be different before ordering the pool. There is no way for the pool supplier to know how much someone will charge you for labor. They are just trying to sell you a pool. Also understand there are more costs involved if you do not get someone to do all the work. Electrical, plumbing, backfill, cement for setting the walls, exe. I would get together what everything will cost before you order the pool and make sure you understand the process. GL

Thanks! Problem is, I don't even know where to start for calling people to get quotes on the work! Without plans are they even going to be willing to give me a quote?

I live in the Dallas area...does anyone know any pool builders that I could call for a quote for doing the work?

We bought a pool kit from Royal Swimming Pools but had a guy who had been in the pool building business for over 25 years to get it in.
You will need PVC pipes and an electrician. You many need copper wire for grounding and a wire grid for bonding, depends on your local codes.
Was it cheaper than to get a pool company to do it...yes....was it a headache...YES!
Like what was mentioned above, you are in charge and need to over see everything. That means you have to get the permits and inspections.
I am pleased with the way it turned out, but sometimes I wished we had gone with a free form pool. Oh well, at the moment our A/C pooped out so the pool is getting used a lot. :cheers:

techguy said:
Have you considered getting a large Intex (or similar) or an Above Ground (Doughboy, Aqualeader...) pool to see if you are a good candidate for a big pool? You could get an excavation company in to level a spot and you can build the pool in a week or less. It would get you swimming this month, for something close to $1000 for a larger Intex or $5,000-10 for a larger AG.

I am not trying to discourage you. If you have never had a large pool, it is an inexpensive way to try owning a 5000+ gallon plus "pet" without a permanent mortgage (and hole in your yard). I did the same thing. I started with a 6 foot x 35 inch Easy up for two seasons and gradually moved up to a 15 foot Easy Up in a place I leveled in my back yard to my current pet that is 21 feet round with a deck that cost twice as much as the pool.

July4%2B012.jpg

My largest EasySet pool

We had a large EasySet Pool that we bought from Sam's years ago. It lasted 3 years! The side split and all the water came gushing out and headed straight for our A/C unit! Part of what caused out A/C to die. After that, I said no more AG pools!

TXFamilyof6 said:
kyle11 said:

Thanks! Problem is, I don't even know where to start for calling people to get quotes on the work! Without plans are they even going to be willing to give me a quote?

I live in the Dallas area...does anyone know any pool builders that I could call for a quote for doing the work?

Well to start I would find by phone book or google all pool builders or pool contractors. Call them and see if they will install the pool if you do not buy it from them. Most will say no. If that fails you can start calling any construction companies. Some in our area have installed pools before is the reason I say to call them. If you still have not found anyone to do most of all the work you will have to be the GC and contract out each job you do not want to do.

Start by calling excavation companies. They will really just need the general size and shape to give you a quote but most pool suppliers will email you dig specs if you ask them. After that you have walls to put up and then pour the concrete footer. General handymen can do that if you want to contract that out.

Next is plumbing, electrical, pool Krete bottom which I would for sure contract out unless you are familiar with that type or work. Then you have liner install. Once again I would probably hire that out just for warranty issues but it can be done with a few friends. Then backfill and concrete.

You can check out my build that I just finished las month. It took just a few weeks but I worked on it every day except one due to rain. Although I do have a full time job. My budget was initially 18k but I busted that a bit. I hired out the dig, all concrete work, the backfill work, dirt work and did all the rest. Here is a rounded up run down of my expenses.

pool kit 18x36 6500
dig 3000
plumbing 500
electrical 800
poolcrete 1100
concrete ring
and deck
poolcrete install
back fill labor ,
gravel for back fill
grading
tree removal
french drain 9000
swg 1000
sod 1000

total 22000

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.