Skimmer and return installation

Gunnert said:
My PB discarded the seals and used copius amounts of silicone...
That is more common on IGP's like yours, but not on feetr2c's, his is an agp(assuming his avatar picture is of his pool) where he can easily access those connections, and may need to in the future.

I just replaced the gaskets on my skimmer and I just used the two white gaskets, one behind the frame on the inside and the other on the outside between the skimmer body and the steel then I cut the hole in the liner. The return was a Hayward return with two black gaskets and chipboard ring. I removed the outside bolt, the chipboard ring and one gasket. I then slide this thru an x cut through the liner and into the wall's hole. I then cut off the excess liner and placed the black gasket, c-board ring and threaded collar and tightened it all up. No leaks, No Silicone caulking.

I did the same just now in a new install at my brothers. A hayward wide mouth skimmer came with what's called a butterfly gasket. It fits the steel wall cutout so there's a layer of rubber on the outside and a layer on the inside BETWEEN the liner and the pool wall. The plastic inner frame then goes directly against the liner and the skimmer body goes against the rubber on the outside, then tighten the screws and cut the liner out. FWIW, I wasn't referring to silicone caulk, but rather silicone grease. I didn't use any, but I do use it on o-rings for the cap on my filter pot just before the pump.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not possible, given that the cutting out of the liner is the last step of the install. As I see it, having the one side of the butterfly between the liner and wall is excellent insurance against water getting between them.

feetr2c said:
Not possible, given that the cutting out of the liner is the last step of the install. As I see it, having the one side of the butterfly between the liner and wall is excellent insurance against water getting between them.

For what it's worth my Hydrotools skimmer came with the 2 gaskets as well, but it came with a template and the instructions had you make the cutout as one of the first steps in the install process. The instructions then made a point of stating several times the gasket inside the pool went between the liner and the mouth of the skimmer, the second gasket then went against the outside of the pool and the skimmer body.

Perhaps it's just an individual manufacturer thing and the "right way" depends on them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.