Depth of Skimmers

p_pan

Apr 16, 2008
Texas
Hello Everybody,

We finally broke ground today. Everything has been going really well.

I have a question about the 2 skimmers they are placing on the pool. One is in the shallow end and the other one on the deep end of the pool. Our pool is only 15,500 gallons and kidney shape. The PB told me that the skimmer in the shallow end will have 18 inches as opposed to 12 inches deep which is the one on the deep end of the pool. He said it will be done like that because of the fact that there is not enough space to put two in the deep end since we also have to have space for 3 water features and autofill. He also told us that the only drawback of the 18 inches is that it will be a little more difficult to reach while cleaning the basket. I also asked about putting them on the other side of the pool (the one I see when I am coming from the house or when I am in the high traffic area of the pool) and he told me that he would want to avoid that so I don't look at a big hole when I am standing on the high traffic side of the pool/deck.

Does this make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks and Best Regards.

The one I have on my pool is about 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the water. If one is correct and the other is below the water, then the one below the water is not going to be doing much skimming. Why can the one in the shallow end not be 12" down from the surface as well

Edit
I am no pool builder, and all I am doing is trying to see why they would do that... So definitely wait on someone here who is definative...

Hard to tell what is going on here. Is it possible that he is talking about depth of the skimmer below the deck? For that to be true the deck would have to vary in height above the water. Another way of interpreting what he said is that one skimmer is kind of wide (12") and the other one is very wide (18"). The one I think is most likely is that he is talking about the throat length, the distance from the pool wall to the skimmer basket horizontally. But there is not much to go on so it is all guess work.

JasonLion said:
Hard to tell what is going on here. Is it possible that he is talking about depth of the skimmer below the deck? For that to be true the deck would have to vary in height above the water. Another way of interpreting what he said is that one skimmer is kind of wide (12") and the other one is very wide (18"). The one I think is most likely is that he is talking about the throat length, the distance from the pool wall to the skimmer basket horizontally. But there is not much to go on so it is all guess work.

I really need to dig more into this tomorrow and understand what exactly is the issue. I thought I heard the PB saying that due to variation on deck levels around pool (i.e. by level due to different grade of the lot), one of the skimmer was 18" inches deep and it was around 6" deeper than usual so it would make a little harder to reach. I will ask more detailed question tomorrow to understand and then post here.

Thanks a bunch!

The skimmers have to be at the same depth in relation to the water, but if you have a raised bond beam on one side where the skimmer is and the patio is higher there, you'll have to put an extension collar on the skimmer to bring it up to deck level. You'll just have to reach your arm down farther to get to your skimmer basket.

what about distance from the mouth to the basket, i have about 12" from the bottom of the mouth, to the basket. i think the skimmer as a whole, is in a very deep hole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.