Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Depth of Skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Depth of Skimmers

Hello Everybody,

We finally broke ground today. Everything has been going really well.

I have a question about the 2 skimmers they are placing on the pool. One is in the shallow end and the other one on the deep end of the pool. Our pool is only 15,500 gallons and kidney shape. The PB told me that the skimmer in the shallow end will have 18 inches as opposed to 12 inches deep which is the one on the deep end of the pool. He said it will be done like that because of the fact that there is not enough space to put two in the deep end since we also have to have space for 3 water features and autofill. He also told us that the only drawback of the 18 inches is that it will be a little more difficult to reach while cleaning the basket. I also asked about putting them on the other side of the pool (the one I see when I am coming from the house or when I am in the high traffic area of the pool) and he told me that he would want to avoid that so I don't look at a big hole when I am standing on the high traffic side of the pool/deck.

Does this make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks and Best Regards.
    IG, 15,500 Gallons, DE 60 Filter, Pebble (RiverRock)

2. Back To Top    #2

Would one skimmer not be totally submerged at that rate?
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by sevver
    Would one skimmer not be totally submerged at that rate?
    I am not sure. I would have to ask the PB. What are the rules around skimmer position? Does it need to be partially under water, 100% under water, or totally above the water?

4. Back To Top    #4

The one I have on my pool is about 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the water. If one is correct and the other is below the water, then the one below the water is not going to be doing much skimming. Why can the one in the shallow end not be 12" down from the surface as well

Edit
    I am no pool builder, and all I am doing is trying to see why they would do that... So definitely wait on someone here who is definative...
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hard to tell what is going on here. Is it possible that he is talking about depth of the skimmer below the deck? For that to be true the deck would have to vary in height above the water. Another way of interpreting what he said is that one skimmer is kind of wide (12") and the other one is very wide (18"). The one I think is most likely is that he is talking about the throat length, the distance from the pool wall to the skimmer basket horizontally. But there is not much to go on so it is all guess work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Hard to tell what is going on here. Is it possible that he is talking about depth of the skimmer below the deck? For that to be true the deck would have to vary in height above the water. Another way of interpreting what he said is that one skimmer is kind of wide (12") and the other one is very wide (18"). The one I think is most likely is that he is talking about the throat length, the distance from the pool wall to the skimmer basket horizontally. But there is not much to go on so it is all guess work.
    I really need to dig more into this tomorrow and understand what exactly is the issue. I thought I heard the PB saying that due to variation on deck levels around pool (i.e. by level due to different grade of the lot), one of the skimmer was 18" inches deep and it was around 6" deeper than usual so it would make a little harder to reach. I will ask more detailed question tomorrow to understand and then post here.

Thanks a bunch!

7. Back To Top    #7

If the level of the deck surrounding the pool does not remain constant, and the level of the skimmers in relation to the water is the same, it sounds good to me.
    steve

8. Back To Top    #8

The skimmers have to be at the same depth in relation to the water, but if you have a raised bond beam on one side where the skimmer is and the patio is higher there, you'll have to put an extension collar on the skimmer to bring it up to deck level. You'll just have to reach your arm down farther to get to your skimmer basket.
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

9. Back To Top    #9
    what about distance from the mouth to the basket, i have about 12" from the bottom of the mouth, to the basket. i think the skimmer as a whole, is in a very deep hole.

10. Back To Top    #10

This basket looks like it would be much easier to reach in the deep skimmer:

http://skimprosolution.com/

I ran across it while looking for a new basket for one of my skimmers a while back.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280