Leveling is the worst ... I don't think it will ever work

Jul 1, 2011
NC
We decided to level ourselves with a friend who runs a bobcat. I am so discouraged. We keep digging in and digging and still not level. Our slope was very deceiving. I just want to throw my hands up and say forget the pool all together!

Re: Leveling is the worst ... I don't think it will ever wor

I know how you feel! We're in the process of leveling for our pool, and it is so frustrating! We already bought ours, and it is sitting here tormenting us lol! The people on here that say leveling is the hardest part didn't lie!

Calculate calculate calculate.

Get a laser level out there or surveyor equipment. If you can tell me how far off in inches one side is over the distance is I can tell you exactly how much you'd need to dig over that span.

It sounds like right now you're doing a bit of guesswork.

We have a laser level, but the bobcat is not precise or at least the person running it is not. I wish I knew how to drive the bobcat. I'm extremely discouraged. When I was outside last we were still 12 inches off at one point. I just have no control and don't think it is being done correctly, so am frustrated. I know my husband and his friend will ensure it is done correctly in the end...at least I hope so. He dug in too much on the low side, so now we have to go even further down on the high side. What a mess!

That sort of thing is what the Bobcat is made for, lol.

I know a little about hard clay, check our project, (link in signature), we are raising our ground so the top of the pool will be level with the deck, it was MUCH farther from level than we thought, and that was even after using a line level to get an idea.

So we are taking a break and will resume Monday.

Here are some pics of where we started and where we are now.

Basically we are still leveling and burying the pavers, it is a pain in the bootay!

[attachment=2:3esl7e0v]backyardforpool.JPG[/attachment:3esl7e0v]
[attachment=1:3esl7e0v]photo.JPG[/attachment:3esl7e0v]
[attachment=0:3esl7e0v]photo (3).JPG[/attachment:3esl7e0v]

Attachments

• backyardforpool.JPG
    backyardforpool.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 796
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 767
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    504.2 KB · Views: 768

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

A couple more pics.
[attachment=0:3rluugz8]photo (1).JPG[/attachment:3rluugz8]

[attachment=1:3rluugz8]photo (2).JPG[/attachment:3rluugz8]

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 763
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    352 KB · Views: 763

Leveling is the most important stage in building any pool! It's also the hardest, sweat inducing, anxiety ridden procedure too! You will get through it! :goodjob:

It's not done yet. :) We had a few days of heavy rain and we are still waiting for it to dry out. Crossing fingers for no more rain until we get it up.

I will be sure to post pics of the progress and finished product once we are able to resume.

Thanks ... We worked a bit tonight and it's slow going in 104 degree heat. We hope to have it up by 7/4. I'll be sure to post updates with pics.

I leveled my yard with a shovel and a wheelbarrow...took me about 5 hours just to remove the sod..had bloody blisters on both hands....then spent 9 hours on saturday and 6 hours on sunday leveling by hand with an 8" board and a carpenters level....If I knew then how hard it was gonna be,...I woulda rented a sod cutter and a large tiller... be thankful you have a bobcat and SOMEONE else to do all the hard work

Slow going, but we made progress. The thing is that it might storm tonight, crossing fingers the storms will spare us.

[attachment=1:2pem7gs9]photo.JPG[/attachment:2pem7gs9]

[attachment=0:2pem7gs9]photo (1).JPG[/attachment:2pem7gs9]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 506
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 502
Re: Leveling is the worst ... Update... Pool up finally

So the pool is up, this was definitely an ordeal and I can see why so many of our friends who have pools already told us to not do it ourselves, but we've had bad experiences in the past with hiring people so decided to tackle it with the help of a good friend.

Yesterday we finally got the wall up, last night after a minor hiccup, got the liner in.

Today I started filling the pool...seriously could take forever (I tend to be dramatic :)...so not really forever, but you know...forever!

My dad is an electrician so my hubby dug a trench and we had electrical ran with extra power for future deck expansion if needed.

The hubby and his friend are now working on setting up the pump and filter.

Here are some pics of the progress.

Please don't mind the mess, it is pretty messy with all the stuff all over the place.
[attachment=2:h8wvw6dc]photo (13).JPG[/attachment:h8wvw6dc]
[attachment=1:h8wvw6dc]photo (4).JPG[/attachment:h8wvw6dc]
[attachment=0:h8wvw6dc]photo (5).JPG[/attachment:h8wvw6dc]

Attachments

• photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 445
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 442
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 446

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.