Turn over and run time and time of day to run

TK13LG

Mar 19, 2012
I have been reading on this site and my manuel to my pump but I still confused.

My specs are listed below.
First I'm trying to find out what my turn over rate is. I see on my manual that Total Head is about 65 and my GPM is at 90. I'm not sure how to do the math on this. Also, does my filter affect the turnover rate?

Once I figure my turn over rate, I can then determine how long I need to run to ensure 1 complete turn over for my 12,000 gallon pool.

Then my last questions is, do you have to run your pump during the day? I prefer to run it at night when the air temp is cooler so my cool misting spray can lower the water temp. I live in Texas with little shade around the pool, only AM hours from the house.

Right now, I have been running 5 hrs at night 12-5 and then an additional 4 hours in the day hours using 30 minute increments.

My FC test has been holding at 11-13 consistently but would like to drop that down to 3-5 and I figured if I reduce my pump run time that would do it. The water is very clear. However, I don't know if I have to run the pump during the day.

Thanks for the help.

Calculating turn over is not as easy as you might think. You can not get your total head and thus flow rate out of a manual as it depends on your pool and equipment setup.

But, the turn over does not matter.

You just run your pump long enough to keep your pool clean enough for your liking ... now the SWG complicates things.
I assume you already have it set as low as you can (20%)? If so, then the only way to reduce the FC level is by shorter pump run time which may not keep the pool clean enough for you.

Another option would be to add a separate timer for the SWG so you can reduce its on time while maintaining adequate pump run time.

EDIT: Also it make very little difference if you run the pump in the day or night. Comparing advantages/disadvantage leans very slightly to running in the day if electrical rates are not in the equation.

Your head is 65 but what units?

You are right about running your pump overnight. The more waves you can create in a pool the greater surface area you have. But the greatest loss will be from radiant heat and not conducted heat to the air.

A black sky (no cloud cover) will remove the most heat from the pool overnight.

Total Dynamic Head of 65 is in feet of water.

Before I got the cool misting sprayer my water temp was at 92 degrees, now it is at 86 degrees. So I prefer to run it at night. I will check to see what my SWG is running on. I am pretty sure I dropped it down already to 20, but I will double check that tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input. Right now my pool is very clean and clear....All my other pool test fall into my desired range....just my FC. I like the idea of placing the SWG on a separate timer....that may be what I end up doing if I can't get my FC down.

TK13LG said:
I like the idea of placing the SWG on a separate timer....that may be what I end up doing if I can't get my FC down.

To be completely safe you want to be sure there is no power to the SWG when the pump is off. That said, there should be a flow sensor that would not allow it to generate with no flow, but having the SWG power OFF eliminates the possibility of a flow switch failure causing problems.

It's late and I would need to review tomorrow so take this into account but 65 feet is like pumping the water up a tube 65 feet for that amount of weight to effect the pump. That's over 6 stories high so maybe what the manual is reffering is the largest amount of height it can pump water up a tube. I'll check back with this double check tomorrow.

No equipmenent manual will specify the total dynamic head for your pool. Every pool is different. Besides, there is no real valve in knowing that. Turn overs are just a rough guide for finding out the number you really want to know, which is on how long you need to run the pump to keep the water perfect. The only way to find that out is to experiment. There is a good article on this in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.