LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I acquired a spped stir, one thing it is cool to watch the colors form a waterspout / whirlpool effect of color changes.

Anyway,

cl 6.5
c/c < .5 slight tinge of red with speedstir light but not visible without light
PH 7.5
TA 90 or 100???
CYA 110 (50% pool water + tap)

So for CYA drop 9 turned it pink, drop 10 turned it bright red. So would TA be 90 or 100?
I am just not sure which drop to count as ''red". CYA I calculate around 110 or so, last week pool store told me < 50. Hmmm.

Thanks

For the color change tests, wait for anything remotely similar to the end color (red or pink or anything similar) then continue adding drops until the color stops changing. The final drop, which does not change the color any further does not count.

It looks like your CYA level is way too high. You need to bring that down to something more reasonable, preferably around 50 to 60. The only practical way to do that is to replace water.

Got Me, long day, it was the Total Alkalinity test not CYA, I did the FC Drop test, I don't use that other one much. Yes for CYA I have been draining, I lost about a foot of water the last week due to rain and a popped hose. I am using straight Walmart Bleach, nothing else except some acid a few weeks back when TA was North of 150 and PH over 8. I just don't get it, so I am keeping my FC around 8-9 as a target, which I will add later.

Based on Jason's reply, drop 9 turned TA pink, 10 red, 11 same red so I am at 100.

It just irks me before store told me CYA needed to be 100-150, and they pushed it up, now I am stuck, wife will kill me if I keep draining, last water bill very high. I must say since BBB where I have not used Borax in the pool (only to control ants), I have had no algae blooms, but I keep FC higher than reccomended 3-4 which may be a way to sell more chemicals.

Thanks

Correct, TA is 100. That's not horrible. I've been over that and had sparkling clear water. It will come down as you add more MA and let the pH come up on its own.

The store told you to go to 100-150? WOW!

Well, last month my water bill was 55,000 gallons (not pool related) so using water is nothing new to me. Our water is $0.005 per gallon here (half a cent). In my case it would be cheaper to drain and refill a pool like yours than to spend $ on chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.