choosing a liner, help please!

Apr 24, 2012
northwest PA
hello, i am trying to pick a liner for a new inground pool, and it is possibly more difficult than picking anything when i built my house. does anyone have any of these liner patterns, and if so, could you provide any pictures? blue mosaic- like GLI ocean beach or Premier mountain top, GLI caicos or mountain summit, and Vynall aquaria or adriatic. i am looking for a very blue, but not dark, look. i just don't want aqua or something greenish- like the tan liners seem to look. thanks very much for any help, lee

lkae4 said:
Those were in my final four. The first one came in second. We picked the stacked stone one because it matched our fireplace. They are both really nice and looked good in the tub. haha

that's funny. so which pattern did you end up with?- i am assuming the border is what the stacked stone is, but what is the rest of it?

So I wrote this really long post about how I picked and it disappeared. I am retyping.

It was the hardest decision. I knew I was going to have to look at the liner for a really long time which made me take this decision process really seriously. We took all the books that the pool builder gave us and I took them apart and took out the samples of the ones that we liked. Then I put them on the wall a good distance away and some didn't look as good from a distance. Then (and this is where my family thought I was truly crazy) I hung the finalists in my deep jet tub so that I could see what they looked like in water. Because the tub was deep enough to get a little blue tinge to the water it really gave you a different perspective. Some of the finalists look so different when plastered to the sidewall and bottom of my deep tub that some moved up on the list and others dropped off. When I saw how different some of the liners look when immersed in water I went back and got a few more different types out to see how they would look. We got down to four and I finally chose one that had stacked stone looking border on the top and then blue pebble on the bottom of the wall and floor. We really like it and it does coordinate with our outdoor fireplace. The two you posted were in our final four and looked great. I don't know why the pool companies cant come up with a good picture of what the liners look like in a real pool.
Good luck with your decision.
Ours got a little easier also because the stacked stone liner was one with a free upgrade to a heavier liner so that was the tie breaker.

We went with the one called Estate Tile by Vinyl Works. It has the longer than normal border of stones and then a medium blue small pebble sidewall and bottom.

I like the longer border. It exends about a foot into the water.
It comes up if you google it.

I like some of the really darker ones but we have four little grand daughters and I felt like I wouldn't be able to see them in the water as clearly if the liner was that dark.

lkae4 said:
So I wrote this really long post about how I picked and it disappeared. I am retyping.

It was the hardest decision. I knew I was going to have to look at the liner for a really long time which made me take this decision process really seriously. We took all the books that the pool builder gave us and I took them apart and took out the samples of the ones that we liked. Then I put them on the wall a good distance away and some didn't look as good from a distance. Then (and this is where my family thought I was truly crazy) I hung the finalists in my deep jet tub so that I could see what they looked like in water. Because the tub was deep enough to get a little blue tinge to the water it really gave you a different perspective. Some of the finalists look so different when plastered to the sidewall and bottom of my deep tub that some moved up on the list and others dropped off. When I saw how different some of the liners look when immersed in water I went back and got a few more different types out to see how they would look. We got down to four and I finally chose one that had stacked stone looking border on the top and then blue pebble on the bottom of the wall and floor. We really like it and it does coordinate with our outdoor fireplace. The two you posted were in our final four and looked great. I don't know why the pool companies cant come up with a good picture of what the liners look like in a real pool.
Good luck with your decision.
Ours got a little easier also because the stacked stone liner was one with a free upgrade to a heavier liner so that was the tie breaker.

oh i'm so sorry you had to retype, but thank you! that is really funny, your process. and i agree about the seriousness of it- i have to live with this for a long time and want to be happy, not irritated, as i look at it! i wish i had a tub like you do! i don't find that crazy at all... and that's what scares me, that you have no idea what they will look like in the water, or the effect the different patterns create. i have been able to look at a few pools the builder did, and i know that i don't like those liners, so that has helped steer me away from a certain pattern. just to be clear though, which two of the ones i have listed are you referring to ( i think i have four different patterns mentioned). and which pebble pattern did you go with, and is your water nice and sparkly blue? :-D thanks very much, lee

lkae4 said:
We went with the one called Estate Tile by Vinyl Works. It has the longer than normal border of stones and then a medium blue small pebble sidewall and bottom.

I like some of the really darker ones but we have four little grand daughters and I felt like I wouldn't be able to see them in the water as clearly if the liner was that dark.

sorry, this post came up as i was typing my other reply to you. thank you, i looked up your liner- it looks to be the same pattern as the mountain summit. actually, those are the samples my builder must be missing because i recall him saying they carry that manufacturer, but i haven't seen the samples in the store. i will have to ask him and compare. would you classify that as a medium blue?

lkae4 said:

one more thing! do you have any pictures posted on the forums of your pool? thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have liner covered steps or seats or tanning ledge? If so I recommend in those areas you get the tread tex material if you have that option. I can write more tomorrow if that's not to late.

You can search my posts I've written about it before. It's awesome!!!

harleysilo said:
Do you have liner covered steps or seats or tanning ledge? If so I recommend in those areas you get the tread tex material if you have that option. I can write more tomorrow if that's not to late.

thank you for the suggestion, but my steps won't be the liner covered kind- and no ledge. thanks though!

8corneflakes said:
we have a GLI liner from the designer series. If you call GLI, they will mail you large samples for free.

thank you, but i don't think larger samples will help me much. seeing them in a pool, now that would help! i must say though, they were extremely nice and as helpful as possible on the phone when i called to ask them about the patterns i like. i appreciate the suggestion, lee

riverlee said:
harleysilo said:

thank you for the suggestion, but my steps won't be the liner covered kind- and no ledge. thanks though!
Next liner I will have the entire bottom out of that material, our pool is shallow for volleyball and we don't have any traction except on the steps...it's very subtle traction too.

harleysilo said:

tomorrow is not too late if you have any other advice! which liner do you have?

OK, I will see if this picture posting works. (One more thought would be - do you have a friend with a pool - you could take the sample and hang them on the wall of their pool to see what it looks like underwater).

IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_3477.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg

The one we have is Estate Tile, the one like it is Natural Stone which I liked better but the liner bottom was a little too light and just kind of looked like the old plain ones.

I am trying to get a good one of the side and bottom part of the liner. It was called Gemstone Floor

IMG_3014.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg

We have the 8 foot wide, white plastic steps with jets in the sides near the seat. I wanted that because we have little grands who love to play on the steps. I like them. We also didn't do the concrete edge that goes all the way, opting for the white metal edge. With little ones playing in the pool, the edge we have is much more forgiving if someone hits their head. I know the other one is supposed to be preferred but we just did what worked so we wouldn't have to worry about the kids when they are over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.