Going BBB Shopping Tonight - Gathering my Shopping List

Mar 5, 2008
I think I convinced hubby to try BBB with our new pool since I realized we really need to start thinking about this which sort of stemmed from responses I received in another thread about running our pump/filter - so we've gotta go shopping tonight...

12,000 gallon pool, town water. Here's what I *think* I'll need based on what I've read:

* 5 3/4 quart bottle of 6% Ultra Bleach Unscented - maybe like 7 of them to last me a week?
* Baking Soda - ideally 4 lb box or the 10 pound bag
* Borax (laundry aisle) - 1 box(?)
* Super Washing Soda (laundry aisle) - 1 box(?) - Optional

Pool Store (Hoping came with my starter kit)
* Muriatic acid to lower PH (also available at Lowes/HD)
* Stabilizer

I realize that some of this is "if needed", I'm figuring having them handy is a good thing. Do you think the quantities are good? Did I miss anything?

Muriatic acid is available at places like Home Depot and Lowes, usually for much less than at the pool store (though occasionally pool stores have good deals).

You probably won't need any washing soda, it is much like a mixture of borax and baking soda. Occasionally it is handy to have but it isn't something you really need to keep on hand.

Make sure the bleach is unscented (or "original" scent). Also, bleach rarely comes in gallons, typically 3 quarts or 5 3/4 quarts.

Thanks Jason, I updated my original post. While I stabillize and am dumping in the bleach, I probably want to dump 1 5 3/4 quart bottle in per day or so for my size pool, right? I read that 1 gallon of bleach is good for a 10k gallon pool.

How much bleach you want to use depends on your current FC level and your current CYA level. When CYA is zero then you need to add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening, that is six cups of bleach for your pool. Once you add some CYA you need to start measuring the FC level and calculating how much bleach to add.

1 gallon of 6% bleach will add 6 ppm of chlorine to a 10,000 gallon pool. It would be unusual to be adding that much every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.