Started shocking, need pointers

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Its been crazy around here. Long story short, My parents Insisted on having professionals come out and open the pool as a sort of housewarming gift. They came out yesterday afternoon and cleaned everything and shocked it with all their industrial chemicals they use. Went from a disgusting green/black pond to a far less disgusting hazy blue.
Here is where I'm at as of right now
Fc 1.5
Cc 2
Tc 3.5
Ph 7.5
Ta 40
Ch 210
Cya 0
This is for an in ground kidney with attached spa, roughly 14,800 gallons.
Any help finishing shocking would be greatly appreciated. Guess I need to start with stabilizer?

JasonLion said:
Shocking is an ongoing process that involves raising the FC level to shock level, waiting an hour, and repeating until you pass the overnight FC loss test, CC is 0.5 or lower, and the water is clear.
As a recent grad of pool school, this point cannot be stressed enough. I essentially wasted a week of time and several jugs of bleach while I was learning the process before I realized the seriousness of the process of shocking. You have to hit it and keep hitting it until you kill it. If you pause for 24 hours, you will be taking steps backwards (and wasting the progress you have made).

Do you think the pool company added any stabilizer? It can take up to a week to show on tests, so if they just came out yesterday, that is probably why it is not showing up. The only real way to get rid of any measurable CYA is to drain/refill, so I would sure hate for you to end up with double the amount of CYA. Can you call the company to get a list of the products they used? A lot of products called "shock" also contain CYA.

Wizaugh said:
After adding stabilizer, can I immediately start adding bleach or do I need to wait? Do I add enough to take it to 30, then assume its there, and continue with the shock?
Shocking is a process not a chemical. You can shock with powdered chlorine but that will raise CYA which is fine when it's 0. Regular bleach with no additives is the best to shock and maintain your pool, at least until you know how other types of chlorine can affect your pool.

aa62579 said:
Do you think the pool company added any stabilizer? It can take up to a week to show on tests, so if they just came out yesterday, that is probably why it is not showing up. The only real way to get rid of any measurable CYA is to drain/refill, so I would sure hate for you to end up with double the amount of CYA. Can you call the company to get a list of the products they used? A lot of products called "shock" also contain CYA.
Good point. Just called, he said he added 8lbs of shock and 2lbs of baking soda. Said he's not sure what brand the shock was, just that you have to be a dealer to buy it (not sold to the public)
Would it be safe to assume there was cya in it and add bleach accordingly?
I understand shocking a process and not a specific chemical. This is just what the pool guy said so that's what I'm quoting him as saying

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wizaugh said:
aa62579 said:
Good point. Just called, he said he added 8lbs of shock and 2lbs of baking soda. Said he's not sure what brand the shock was, just that you have to be a dealer to buy it (not sold to the public)
Would it be safe to assume there was cya in it and add bleach accordingly?

I wouldn't assume that, and even if so, I don't think you could necessarily guess how much of the product constituted CYA. I think you should press him to find out what he added. If a company charges you for a product, they should be able to tell you what it is. If he knows that it is a special brand only available to a dealer, he probably knows what is in it.

That's a good point about PH. Adding that much shock would lower your PH into the 5's?? Maybe it was cal-hypo or maybe dichlor.??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.