Pentair Automation with IS4

jongig

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
A couple years ago I used the terminals for the IS4 to automate turning the pool on/off using a Insteon low voltage I/O linc. Very simply the Insteon device would short out two terminals for 1 second and that would activate the pool on or off. I've since added a IS4 remote and disconnected the I/O Linc. I now find that I miss the I/O Linc because it gave me remote control of the pool through the internet to turn it on or off.

My question is, does anyone know if connecting the I/O Linc along with an IS4 matter? I also do not recall which is the terminal that you short, it's either the Black or the Orange and if anyone knows, please remind me.

I'm guessing connecting both doesn't matter but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone has any advice for remote control of the pool. I considered purchasing the Screenlogic system but I just can't justify the cost when all I want is on and off.

I thought I'd attach a picture of the board. The is4 terminal block shows 6 terminals, orange and black are the led light and the terminal that gets shorted against the other 4 terminals, not sure which is which. When the terminals 1-4 get shorted they do what ever they are programmed to do. In my case I have them set so that 1 is pool on/off, 2 is pump at 3,200 RPM for vacuuming, 3 and 4 are to increases/decrease pump speed by 100 RPM.

Attachments

• Pentair_IS4.jpg
    Pentair_IS4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 58
I did get an answer somewhat from Pentair. The black wire can be shorted against the terminals 1,2,3 and 4. They did not have an answer to if two IS4's can be connected but said it probably would not be a problem unless two people were pressing buttons at the same time. In my situation that would not be an issue since I'm only going to short black to number 1 and have button number 1 set to turn the pool on/off. Remember that you can set these buttons to do anything programmed in the EZ-touch or intellitouch. If someone was concerned with the possibility that you could have someone at the house pushing buttons at the same time you are pressing buttons remotely it would be to simply add a relay to the process to disengage the black wire from the IS4 at the moment you are pushing a button remotely. I'm not going to do this but it could easily be done.

Here's how I will connect this. Using a IO Link from smarthome. This device has two parts to it, one is a switch that can be set to momentary or latched. The second is a sensor input. I have a pressure switch on the pool system that when the pool is on will utilize the sensor input and from my iPhone or any internet device I will be able to see if the pool is running and be able to turn it off/on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.