Newbie to the post and first time pool owner! woohooo

jmmodb

Jun 19, 2012
Hello everyone. Just dropping a line to say hello and looking forward to many, many, hours stalking the posts to find out all the scoop on owning a pool. My wife and I just purchased a home with an in-ground 20x40 vinyl liner pool. The pool had been abandoned for several years and a little TLC was needed to get the pool back in shape, floor patching, wall patching (metal wall panels), new pumps, filter, gaskets, etc... After a couple weeks of work, we finally took our first dip the other day!! Just in case any of you old timers are wondering about the specifics of our pool, they are as follows: 20x40 vinyl pool installed around 1975, main drain tied into Hayward adjustable skimmer, dedicated vacuum line in deep end, return jet in shallow end, booster return installed mid-span in pool, steps that are not inside the "perimeter" of pool. We are on a hill, and the previous owners told us there is a "french drain" type pipe system under the deep end with a pvc pipe that runs about 200' into the backyard to keep water from building up under the pool. Our equipment is as follows: Tagelus 60D filter, Hayward 1HP Super Pump (wired 220), Polaris Booster with Polaris 280 cleaner (which we absolutely LOVE).

As far as our water, we are on a private well that is 400' deep and the water seems to be great. Pretty high PH and Alkalinity, very soft water, but after just 2-3 days of treating water, it is crystal clear and super blue! TC and FC seem to be a bit low, but we are not complaining as the water is beautiful.

Any advice or input from you experienced pool owners would be much appreciated. As of now, we seem to operating successfully, but in case any of you want to comment on tips how to get a vinyl liner a little tighter in the upper corners of the top steps, we would appreciate and welcome any input! Also, we have the mounts for an 8' diving board and looking for reviews for a good diving board manufacturer. I've found that Interfab and SR Smith both make boards that fit my bolt pattern 4.5" between back holes, and 36" from back to front. Any of you have any experience with either board manufacturer, or have any other suggestions, please chime in!

Thanks and looking forward to many, many posts, questions, answers, tips, tricks, and fun stories!

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 57
Give some real thought to installing a diving board, they can be accidents waiting to happen if not used cautiously. Having said that lightly used diving boards are often easy to find for free / cheap, people seem to remove them from their pools just a soon as someone gets a broken arm or leg jumping into the pool, sometimes after only a split lip or lost tooth from hitting the bottom of the pool face first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.