When should algecide be used?

tablpa

Jun 15, 2012
We are still in the process of converting from Baquacil to chlorine, but just wondering about something. In reading all about the BBB method and going back to chlorine, when is it appropriate to use algecide? When purchasing chlorine at the big box store, I picked up some HTH algecide which is supposed to last 90 days (thought that sounded like a good thing), but after reading it appears the suggested method would be to just shock instead of using algecide. So should algecide be used preventatively, only when algae is visible, or not at all-shock instead?

Like Jason said before, rarely needed. If you keep the FC in the appropriate range for your CYA level, you should not get algae.

Btw, certainly never use any with copper in it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

tablpa:

The only other time when using an algaecide could be justified is when you are out of town for the better part of a week or more and the pool will be unattended. It will provide a little bit of insurance against an algae bloom should the FC drop a bit below the recommended range for your CYA. In this case, the algaecide buys you a little bit of extra time - it is not a license to let your FC stay below the recommended range for an extended period. The recommended algaecide is a Polyquat 60 formulation.

As others have stated, an algaecide is not needed in normal day-to-day maintenance when the FC is kept at the recommended range nor will an algaecide be of any value once an algae bloom has started. In that case, the shock process is the way to get rid of it.

I have been having a tan dusty debri that collects in the seams etc
The folks that installed the pool keep telling me it is algae dead or alive and is too small to filter
OCLT is successful though, so I doubt that it can be algae. (I have been vacing to waste ad nausium)
The guy at the local pool company tells me that there are other things that can consume chlorine other than sunlight and algae. Is this true?
I keep thinking it is dust from the mines that produced the ZeoLite product I use for sand media.
WIll using an algaeside (polymeric) cause me to "need" it's continued use? I was thinking of doing one algaeside treatment just to rule out algae
Any ideas?

The better way to rule out algae is to raise your FC to shock level for about 24 hours and then hold it about 5 points higher than normal for a couple of weeks. If algae is growing, the algaecide will have little effect on it.

If that doesn't make a difference, run your pump 24 hours a day for a while and see if it improves.

Most anything biological will consume chlorine, and that includes waste from swimmers.

cood60 said:
Thanks, I will give it a shot
I forgot post my stats including cool water temp
Water temp is below 50, should it not be impossible to have live algae in cool water?

Less likely. I'd increase your high-speed running hours. I live in farm country and get a lot of dust in my pool. If I run the pump 8 hours a day the pool stays dirty, but 10 or 12 hours helps quite a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.