Low CYA but using 3" tabs?

IanB22

Jun 19, 2012
All,
I just found this forum after my guess and book-reading on pool maintenance wasn't getting it done recently. I decided I had to shock my pool (as it was turning a bit green) and I wanted to do it right. I followed the directions in the shocking the pool section using Trichlor and brushed like a maniac to get it looking gray rather than green. FC is up in the 20 range for 24 hours now.

However, the CYA on my multi-test strip is always reading below 30ppm, and I only have two ranges 0 - 30 - 60 - 80. I got the strips this year at Leslie's pool (as I didn't know what else to get at the time, and strips are easy for me). I am a little worried about the CYA reading, because I have been using tabs for 5 weeks now, at a rate of about 2 or 2.5 a week. So by estimates here, I should be near the 90 ppm mark for CYA, and yet my test strip is showing 0?

I want to get a proper water test kit after reading this forum, and use the BBB method, and the pool calculator, but Dang I just keep sinking more money into this pool. Do I need to worry about my CYA levels?

Thanks
Ian

The exact shock I used is here:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...53&langId=-1&keyword=shock+pool&storeId=10051

Welcome to TFP!

You need to be concerned about CYA, but I wouldn't go all the way to worried :)

Test strips are not a reliable way to measure CYA levels. I recommend you get a real test kit, or at a minimum have your water tested by a pool store.

It usually takes more than 5 weeks of normal use of trichlor tablets before CYA levels get too high. The "shock" product you are using is much more problematic, since it will raise CYA levels very quickly.

So I should not be worried, but just be concerned. Ok got it.
Then in the very next line, you say the shock product I used will raise CYA rapidly. Which is which, be worried, or not? (hahaha, no really though?)

Anyway, I guess I will HAVE to get a better test kit now. There goes another 70 bucks. Hopefully it is money well spent. Good news is, I did just get a text from my wife who says she loves the blue pool this morning, so it isn't ALL bad!
Ian

IanB22 said:
So I should not be worried, but just be concerned. Ok got it.
Then in the very next line, you say the shock product I used will raise CYA rapidly. Which is which, be worried, or not? (hahaha, no really though?)

Anyway, I guess I will HAVE to get a better test kit now. There goes another 70 bucks. Hopefully it is money well spent. Good news is, I did just get a text from my wife who says she loves the blue pool this morning, so it isn't ALL bad!
Ian

Don't worry, it will be the best money you've ever spent on your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.