Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine burn rate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine burn rate?

With a CYA level of approximately 50 in a 28,000 gallon pool, how much chlorine should I expect to burn each day (assuming nothing is consuming the chlorine levels) ? I'm currently running Trichlor but am looking to switch to the Liquidator. Based on some other posts I have read, it seems like 2ppm/day is the estimate I should use. Based on this, I would then expect to need to introduce 116oz/day of 6% bleach. This would then translate to needing to fill the 4 gallon Liquidator every 5 - 6 days or every 9 days if I were to use 12.5% chlorinating liquid. Does this sound right? Based on this, I'm thinking that I may be better off going with the 8 gallon Liquidator....thoughts?
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2
    That all sounds about right. Actual chlorine usage will vary depending on the amount of sunlight you get, but somewhere around 2 or 3 ppm is a good guess.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

well, the pool is right out in the open and we get beat on from 10 - 11am on in the summer. So, it's sounding to me that the 8 gallon liquidator would make more sense so that I can get at least a week before refilling
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400