How Many Different modes? (spa, filter, vacuum)

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm just trying to figure out the different modes that I will want/need. I want to understand this as much as possible so I can make sure that I try to get what I want... rather than... well you know the other option.

The variables that I know I get to deal with are: 4x160 pump, another pump, spa, cartridge filter, 2 deck jets, vacuum

I'm thinking I need some variation of the following modes, but not sure if these are reasonable/possible/neccesary. Comments please?

Mode 1: Filter, spillover

Mode 2: Filter

Mode 3: Spa

Mode 4: Vacuum (what else would normally be running in vac mode?) Planning on Pentair Legend, which if I understand has its own pump?

Would like to have deckjets on or off on all modes if possible.

Too much info? :shock:

I think you are right on with what you listed there. Are you talking about circuit options with the pentair easytouch system? It would be nice to have just normal filtration/valve settings on one circuit and the filtration spillway on another circuit. That way in your schedules you could have the spillway option automatically start before you get home from work, etc. Or you could have the spillway option run on the weekends and just have normal filter mode (non spillway) during the week.

The legend does require a booster pump which will be on its own circuit. That way you can set its schedule differently from your main filter pump. I only need to run my legend for 4 hours or less a day to clean my pool while my filter pump runs for 12hrs a day.

If I am doing heavy cleaning I switch my easytouch panel to service mode, then on the 4x160 pump turn on the high speed preset. Then I manually change my suction side between full main drain or full skimmers depending on what type of cleaning I am doing. It would be nice to have a dedicated circuit for this type of cleaning. Then you could just program a circuit to run your pump in high speed mode. It would allow you to change to "high speed mode" via control panel or wireless controller instead of at the equip pad.

Dont forget about pool and landscape lighting. If you have circuits for them on the easytouch you can control them with schedules as well...

One you may want to consider is Solar if you ever plan on adding them. It usually has a separate valve and more head loss than regular filter mode.

Also, I have a separate SPA jet pump but with the 4x160, you probably won't need that.

Thanks guys for the info.

I'm trying to figure out what things I probably will be wanting to do (first pool for me), how to do it, make sure that I optimizing my equipment purchases, and make sure my pb sets up (and plumbs things) best.

You mentioned circuits on the EasyTouch. How many does it come with? Can you buy it with more?

I would like the option to set up landscape lighting through it if possible, but not a huge deal. My front yard landscape lighting seems to work fine on its own little timer.... so I'm sure I could do the same near the pool.

Feel free to share more details on your set up TheOne.

Thanks,
Steve

stevenbrla said:
Thanks guys for the info.

I'm trying to figure out what things I probably will be wanting to do (first pool for me), how to do it, make sure that I optimizing my equipment purchases, and make sure my pb sets up (and plumbs things) best.

You mentioned circuits on the EasyTouch. How many does it come with? Can you buy it with more?

I would like the option to set up landscape lighting through it if possible, but not a huge deal. My front yard landscape lighting seems to work fine on its own little timer.... so I'm sure I could do the same near the pool.

Feel free to share more details on your set up TheOne.

Thanks,
Steve

The EasyTouch comes in a 4 circuit or 8 circuit model. Not sure on the price difference between the 4 and 8 but it looks like you will need the 8 based on what you listed below. Mine is currently setup for filter pump, booster pump (for legend cleaner), pool lights, and air blower for spa. I believe you listed an extra pump below so that would put you to the 8 circuit model.

Regarding the deck jets, Im not completely clear on what those are but the trick will be in the types of valves you have. For my system I only have 2 electronic valves. One on the main suction side between pool and spa. Another one on the return side between pool and spa. So in my system I can automatically switch between "pool" or "spa" mode via schedule or button on the wireless control. Now if I want to change the amount of suction from main drain or skimmers or divert some return flow to aerators I use manual valves for that.

Thanks TheOne,

Yesterday I downloaded the instruction manual for the Easytouch, and have a better understanding of the big picture now. A little fuzzy 36 hours later, but I was thinking that I might be able to do the deckjets even with the Easytouch-4. I'll print it out... and try to read it again and discuss.

Your system looks very much like what I plan to do. My pool might be a little larger than yours (really not sure though.)

What's the Ozone thing you have listed?

stevenbrla said:
Thanks TheOne,

Yesterday I downloaded the instruction manual for the Easytouch, and have a better understanding of the big picture now. A little fuzzy 36 hours later, but I was thinking that I might be able to do the deckjets even with the Easytouch-4. I'll print it out... and try to read it again and discuss.

Your system looks very much like what I plan to do. My pool might be a little larger than yours (really not sure though.)

What's the Ozone thing you have listed?

The Paramount ozone system is a secondary oxidizer for the pool. It is used to break down non-living waste in the pool (not algae) which in turn makes your chlorine more effective. You can also potentially keep your chrlorine at lower levels which some find as a benefit. Although my pool is still pretty new my chlorine usage has been much lower than I thought.

My PB included the ozonator as part of "the package" with the Paramount main drain and ADR system. (Basically the ADR is a large skimmer bag for the main drain that is pool side.) The ozone system I have is not to be used as a primary sanitizer though. I still use chlorine via the swcg for that. The Paramount ozonator injects ozonated air into the water flow at the equipment pad. It does not flow water through the ozonator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.