Finally putting in water but now what, chemicals. how/much?

wildzx

May 21, 2012
ok, so finally after many acid washes, the pool was painted (double coat); wish i could have kept the plaster but had to use the last resource of painting the pool. So, the pool is being filled with water and also received the TF-100 test kit.
This pool is located at my parents property which i maintain and it's my first time ever dealing with pool; and have read pool school, as well but still need help, real bad! ... with how to get everything started including chemicals. So, here are the test with just water in the pool with nothing else added (done at local pool supply place):

- Free Available Chlorine - 0 - low
- Total Availabe Chlorince - 0 - low
- Calcium Hardness - 360 - ok (yep, the water sucks...its hard)
- Cyanuric Acid - 0 - low
- Total Alkalinity - 140 - high
- pH - 7.8 - ok
- Total Dissolved Solids - 400 - ok
- Phosphates - 100 - ok

Now, what are steps i need to take to add the chemicals in the pool ( i was told i need to add acid and chlorine and i should not use clorox bleach?).
I have Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid) 25lb / clorox bleach / muriatic Acid. What else should i buy or take with me to the property?
How should i add the chemicals in the pool and more importantly how much?
Any advice on how long should i run the pump everyday? Do i need to run it longer the first few days? (And most likely it we may swim in the pool maybe once or twice every 2 weeks, ya i know .)
Any way, kindly do help me get this pool started, it's driving me crazy...thought it was going to be easy?

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 174
Re: Finally putting in water but now what, chemicals. how/mu

When the pool is full and the pump running, lower the PH to 7.2. The first evening after sunset add 2 ppm of chlorine. Start adding CYA, aim for a level of 30 ppm and assume it is zero to start with. Starting the evening of the day after you add CYA, test and raise the FC level to the target level for a CYA of 30, which is around 5.

Liquid chlorine and bleach (chlorox or not) are all totally fine to use.

Instructions on how to add chemicals are in Pool School, Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Start with eight to ten hours of pump run time and then adjust from there as needed.

wow ! looks like ill need to read pool school once more. Anyways, the pool is not local to me...i need to make sure i have all the things i need; so i don't have to keep going back...its 3hour drive. So please let me know if need to buy or take any other chemicals..i may need. Also, do i need any type of Algae prevention.
thanks
Mac
(i'll probably have few more questions after i look over pool school.....; hope it will get easier afterwards because at this point it sucks :( ....)

JasonLion said:
When the pool is full and the pump running, lower the PH to 7.2. The first evening after sunset add 2 ppm of chlorine. Start adding CYA, aim for a level of 30 ppm and assume it is zero to start with. Starting the evening of the day after you add CYA, test and raise the FC level to the target level for a CYA of 30, which is around 5.

Liquid chlorine and bleach (chlorox or not) are all totally fine to use.

Instructions on how to add chemicals are in Pool School, Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Start with eight to ten hours of pump run time and then adjust from there as needed.

With it being that far.....a salt water generator maybe worth looking into.

Leebo said:
With it being that far.....a salt water generator maybe worth looking into.
hmm, interesting......can these be easily installed or by professional and how about the initial and maintenance cost?

If you're handy it's pretty easy to install an SWCG. In the big scheme of things and SWCG works out to be about the same cost as manually chlorinating the pool. It of course, depends on where you're located, but it's close.

got the pump started with chemicals added...being running for long time (few hours)...but can't seem to get the pressure up in the filter. (i did let the air out but still the pressure isn't going up...). Is that ok or any recommendations on how to get the pressure built up..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It got around 7 only when the cleaner was running when cleaner stopped went back to 0. Not sure what speed the pump is running: should I try increasing the speed of the pump? When just the pump is running pressure stays real low not when cleaner is running pressure goes up around 7

Without knowing what speed the pump is running it's impossible to tell if it's normal, but I suspect that it is.

P. S. You should change the equipment models to the model name (ie Intelliflo). Nobody knows them by the numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.