Outdoor Stereo/Speaker wireless setup -- Suggestions please!

Jun 13, 2012
Looking to set up an outdoor, wireless stereo with speakers (that have great sound) for my pool. I want to be able to use the playlist off my iphone and use the iphone as a remote. Does anyone have suggestions? I saw something for sale on Frontgate, but not sure the quality level (gets good reviews) but really looking for great sound from the speakers. Thanks for any help with this!!

Re: Outdoor Stereo/Speaker wireless setup -- Suggestions ple

I use the Sonos system and it is fantastic.

One component (Sonos Bridge) connects to your wireless router/hub via Ethernet cable.
It then broadcasts the signal to your other Sonos components. They make "boombox" style, portable units that have nice sound, and they just came out with a wireless subwoofer. None of this gear is
rated for outside, so keep that in mind. Your iphone/ipad is your remote control and integrates with Pandora, MOG, etc.. It not only controls your playlists, it is also your volume control. You can have multiple Sonos zones that will all sync up and play together, or separately if you want. It also streams music off of your network attached storage, so essentially where the music is being sourced from becomes transparent to you. You can even make a playlist that mixes songs from MOG and your own hard drive.

I am using a basic receiver to drive 4 outdoor wired speakers. Sonos makes a component that plugs into this receiver outside by the pool, so this component communicates wirelessly to the Sonos bridge, but I get to use my own amplification and speakers (superior fidelity).

There is a also a system called Squeezebox (I think Logitech may market this) that I've heard good reviews about. Sonos is more expensive, but I have to say the quality is great and
it's brain dead easy to set up.

SF

I have a couple of Squeezebox Duets that do a similar job as the Sonos. I think the Sonos units are a little more user friendly, but the Squeezebox is now running quite nicely. I can control it either using the Squeezebox remote or with my Android (or an iPhone) using Logitech's app for this. It's pretty sweet.

CraigMW said:
I have a couple of Squeezebox Duets that do a similar job as the Sonos. I think the Sonos units are a little more user friendly, but the Squeezebox is now running quite nicely. I can control it either using the Squeezebox remote or with my Android (or an iPhone) using Logitech's app for this. It's pretty sweet.

Will these play music directly from your android phone? I was looking at these types as well as Bluetooth speakers. I want to be able to stream directly from my GS2 android phone to the speakers.

gullzway said:
Will these play music directly from your android phone? I was looking at these types as well as Bluetooth speakers. I want to be able to stream directly from my GS2 android phone to the speakers.

I'm not sure about that, as I usually listen to either Pandora or my own iTunes library hosted on my PC. There are a number of Android apps that are great for Squeezebox, esp. the free one from Logitech that allows you to control your Squeezebox player(s) via WiFi. There is an app called SqueezeCommander that may provide this. Basically, it would need to support a program called SqueezeServer on the Android itself. That being said, while it's probably doable, it would simply kill your battery life on your Android because of all the WiFi transmission. So, while it's a nifty idea, it would probably be more practical to just sync your Android occasionally with your PC and have the PC (running SqueezeServer) to act as your music server. You can still control which songs you want to listen to with your Android, but not have the Android's power sucked out of it.

BTW, on my Android, I have my Squeezebox Controller (remote control) and also a program to control all of my Insteon based lights, etc. It's cool to be able to sit down in the yard and control not just the music, but also the lighting in the house and yard. Soon, I will also be able to control the various pool functions from my Android as well (via EasyTouch and Autelis). I really think you don't realize the power of smart phones until you get this sort of functionality.

gullzway said:
CraigMW said:

Is there specific music on your phone that you want to play or are you using a music service on your phone ? If the later, Sonos has the built-in ability to play Internet Radio stations (there are thousands available), Spotify, Rhapsody, Pandora (which is excellent and free). All without draining your phone battery.

To tell you the truth we very rarely play the 50k tracks we have ripped anymore. We mostly use Pandora and Spotify, and local Internet Radio of course.

We got one of these last Christmas. Kind of pricey, but it has Aux and Bluetooth hook ups to use it with many kinds of devices. We usually just hook up to our Android phones via bluetooth and use either Pandora or our playlists. We can play, pause, skip the music and control the volume right through our phones. It's not huge sound, but it still fills the backyard very nicely. Best part, it's very portable. You can put it where ever you want and take it with you pretty much where ever you go. Battery life has been very good so far as well. I've never been a huge fan of Bose, but this has won me over.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose&#1...aker/2989098.p?id=1218370113599&skuId=2989098

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.