Mar 27, 2012
Alright, I've got the water dialed in.

Fc 4.0
Cc 0
Ph 7.5
Cya 30
Ta 110
Ch 220-230

The waters now crystal clear and the bottom and sides of the pool (gunite) are extremely mottled and what looks to be scaled. We're planning on a full remodel next year or the year after. However, we also have a slight leak I still haven't managed to locate other than its not in the plumbing. Could the plaster be totally shot and causing this? I attached a couple pics. Is there anything I can do as it also seems to be getting worse.

Sorry. I took the pics on my phone and had to shoot them over to the laptop.

And that's not a reflection. It's ugly looking.

I'll see if I can can a couple more after dark that show it even better.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 325
I'm not sure. I've only owned it for a couple months and looks like it saw some neglect with recent years. It almost looks like the plaster is wearing away. It seemed to darken and wear away a little more after running the pool robot thing a few times. I'll grab some vitamin c and see if its copper. As for now, it almost looks like the surface of the moon down there with dark spots, rivers of white and dark.

Here's another pic from this morning which is a better display of the issue.

I'll be stopping by the pool store for a copper test on my way home today, but is it possible that the pool is a horrible mix of scaling, stained scaling, and copper staining?

Attachments

• Ugly Pool.JPG
    Ugly Pool.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 202
Mine is all mottled like that, I used to use copper algeacide a few years back. I don't have the big white stripe like on your stairs though. I think that my plaster (20+ years old) is jsut wearing out. I went thru a leak detection (was leaking .5" a day) and they found a cracked pipe under my deck. They did putty the Crud out of the plaster first though, so it's very possible that plaster can leak....

My guess on your white stripe is somebody dumped acid (like the slug method) right there.

I have a little old scaling on my tile, and it's raised, like that white Crud that gets on shells at the beach. I also have areas on my plaster that are pitted, I'm assuming due to age. Haven't seen the grey concrete yet, though, and I can't get a firm answer from anyone when you *have* to refinish gunite. It costs $4-6K, so I don't want to do it unless I *have* to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
danivdp said:
Mine is all mottled like that, I used to use copper algeacide a few years back. I don't have the big white stripe like on your stairs though. I think that my plaster (20+ years old) is jsut wearing out. I went thru a leak detection (was leaking .5" a day) and they found a cracked pipe under my deck. They did putty the **** out of the plaster first though, so it's very possible that plaster can leak....

My guess on your white stripe is somebody dumped acid (like the slug method) right there.

I have a little old scaling on my tile, and it's raised, like that white **** that gets on shells at the beach. I also have areas on my plaster that are pitted, I'm assuming due to age. Haven't seen the grey concrete yet, though, and I can't get a firm answer from anyone when you *have* to refinish gunite. It costs $4-6K, so I don't want to do it unless I *have* to.

Actually, the stairs picture has a reflection in it. I put it up to show the spots above the reflection.

Bottom line: it's a mess, but we knew we needed a renovation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.