Floating deck Foundation, who has used this system?

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
I have a question, I'm getting ready to build a deck on our 21 round AGP. Who has used the floating deck system to build their deck? And how do you like it after you finished.

If I use normal footings I have an issue, My problem is I buried my bonding wire about 2ft out from the pool and and in order not disturb the bonding wire I would have to move my sono tubs for the footings 2.5 feet from the pool, that would be almost a 2.5 ft cantilever between the support beam and the pool and that is too much. I'm not sure if code here will allow me to use the floating system, but I'm considering using them if they will allow it...

The blocks I'm talking about can be seen at deckplans.com

Looking for info, comments, likes and dislikes about using the blocks vs concrete pillars.

Pictures are also a big help, I would love to see them.

Thank you ,

Geo

We used the deck blocks to build a 3 foot wide splash deck around our 30 ft pool. All in all we are happy with the way they worked. My husband feels that with this system we did use more wood. We have severe winters here in Pa. and so far there hasn't been any issues. We did keep the deck level with the rail because of the heaving in winter. This summer we are adding a large ground level deck with step up to the splash deck.

So far we have been pleased with the outcome. We have been adding on to it for the past couple of years. Still have a small section to finish off this year, plus the sides. One reason we went this way is we bought the pool for our grandkids. We figured in 10 years the kids will be grown and not around and by then the pool and most of the decking pulled up.
Here are a few pictures in no particular order.
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Nothing of concern the past two winters. This year has been extremely cold so it will be interesting come spring to see if everything is still in place. My son lives down from us and his porch heaved up that he couldn't get his back door open. He made a mistake and only dug down 3 feet for his footings. He has lived there for 4 years and this is the first time it happened.

I'm in SW PA and we have to pull permits for decks, pools and any construction attached to outside structures. Do you not have to do that linda or did you just chose not to do it?

My neighbor put a pool in over 10 years ago without a permit. :silent: I know when I started my research into our build, the inspector told me if we start without the permit, EVERYTHING will be ordered torn down until all permits were settled. I have to get another permit for our decking around the pool because I don't want them coming out and ordering a complete tear down. If the permit police knew of their pool, they would have to tear it down. It's kind of hidden over the hill below their house. If you didn't know they had it, you'd never know it was there... unless of course I take pics of it and throw it online in my own build thread! :mrgreen: lol

I live in SE PA and a lot of people do not get permits and then get in major trouble later with them being fined or told to tear down. With dwindling funds many towns are getting stricter enforcing permits. We were going to build our deck using blocks. When I went to get the pool permits I spoke with the township inspector about using the preformed blocks and he told me immediately that it was not up to code because he stated the blocks could crumble over time. He then proceeded to hand me a 30 page book on pool deck codes which specified everything down to what screws needed to be used and where! A herd of elephants can now stand on our deck!!! It cost us about twice as much as we had estimated and I am sure it will still be there way after the pool is gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am more south eastern, PA then Wiggledog. We live in a little mushroom town that over the past 10 years has been over developed with expensive houses. We used to be a place where you knew everyone. Many waivers were given before they developed everywhere. My buddy put up his pool and never pulled any permits. Then the next summer he began the deck. The township made him pull the permits and really gave it to him. His pool is too close to the neighbors property line. That neighbor does not care. But he ended up having to go before the township supervisors and him and the neighbor both attended and plead their case. He was not granted the waiver. I have many friends at the township and spoke on his behalf behind closed doors and asked for a favor. I was told if he had pulled the permits in the beginning they would have worked with him more. Pull the permits. You will be glad you did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.