Does FC need to be up before adding CYA?

Jun 12, 2012
I really appreciate the forum and have searched to see if my question would be answered elsewhere and haven't found it.

I recently converted to the BBB. Just got my TF100. My understanding was that I needed to get my chlorine levels up before I stabilized. But it seems that I can get the chlorine level up but within a day it's back down to zero, (going from the top end of the test kit to not even registering). when I tested for CYA, I am either testing wrong, or it is testing correctly. But the water sample (after following instructions) never changed color or clarity. I could fill the tube and still easily see the black dot (looking from the top down).

So my question is, if I have no CYA at all, should I go ahead and add some and then try to bring stabilization to my chlorine? Or should I bring it up to shock levels, and then immediately add CYA.

Final question, am I correct that CYA is still something I would have to purchase from the pool store (stabilizer)? It is not one of the 3 B's?

Welcome to TFP.

You'll lose all your FC to the sun in a little while if your CYA is really zero. If that's the case, you should add CYA and then add 3 ppm of FC in the evening until 24 hours after it all dissolves and then target the FC for whatever CYA you targeted.

Pool stores carry stabilizer (CYA) but so do Walmart, Lowes, HD, etc. In fact a lot of stores carry it. Even Ace Hardware.

I added the recommended amount of CYA, and the second morning after adding it is almost up to 30 ppm. If my calculations are correct on amount of product added, (and based on the info that CYA sometimes takes a while to fully register) I am expecting to level out somewhere in the 30-40 ppm range.

My testing this morning was
FC 3.5
CC 1
pH 7.2-7.5
TA 199
CYA almost 30
Before I found TFT I was working with the pool store who told me my alkalinity was down and sold me a bucket of Alkaline up, when that didn't do the trick they sold me another bucket. So about 8 pounds of the stuff brought it up to where they said it was okay. But my reading on the site says recommended 70-90+ for TA. So is 199 too much? Is it okay to leave it alone for awhile? Or do I need to make plans to bring it down?

I really appreciate the forum and advice.

Your TA is high, but nothing to worry about. It may just result in the pH climbing a little faster.

After your FC is in the correct range and everything else is stable, you can work on lowering it using the process in pool school of pH drift is excessive.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Hmmm, gonna have to do some more reading. The FC CC and shock level do not make complete sense to me yet. And the OCLT I guess would be performed by doing a test in the evening and retest the next morning..... So how long would you have to keep at shock level before performing the OCLT (I normally add my bleach in the evening)

Thanks for your time :)

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....it'll help you understand more of the basic parameters.

How did you get a TA 0f 199? The TF-100 test is in increments of 10ppm.

The pool is really clear and has been for well over a week. I just wasn't retaining any chlorine due to no CYA (I believe)(I was going from a strong yellow to not even registering within a day). Hoping to see the turn around now that I have some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My CYA seems to have settled out around 25-27 range, a little below the 30 I thought I had treated for. Does it need to be higher than this? Water is really clear, PH is holding where it should. TA is still extremely high and hasn't budged. But I had read that CYA should be between 30-40? Is there a reason for having it higher (cause if it's higher you need more chlorine correct?)

I've been keeping my FC in the 2-4 range, but never seem to get up to the 14 for shock. CC is between .5 and 1.

So all that to say, should I raise my CYA to get it inbetween that 30-40 ppm?

Thank you!

The "required" CYA level is greatly dependent on the amount of sun your pool sees. The CYA protects the FC from the sun. With a higher CYA, the FC level might be higher, but the daily consumption of FC may be lower because less is lost to the sun.

That said, if you can not get the FC up to 14ppm and you state you have seen CC of 1ppm ... you need to go through the shock process correctly (as outlined in Pool School) before you raise the CYA much higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.