Tabs/Pucks with SWG

May 24, 2007
Memphis, TN
I still have a few remaining tabs from the chlorinator I had before SWG. Can I use them in the skimmer and continue to operate my SWG without any harm? The tabs have CYA in them as well as the chlorine, and when I head out of town I like the idea of a little extra in the pool without changing timer or SWG settings. I have the headroom for adding CYA without any problem. Just want to know if having that flow (indirectly of course) going thru the SWG can damage it at all.

I personally don't think this can hurt anything; but want to hear from those who know more than me!

You shouldn't put those pucks in your skimmer, especially if you are not running the pump 24/7. When the pump isn't running the chlorine builds up in the skimmer, then gets sucked through all your equipment when the pump starts.

You said you have headroom, but didn't mention where your CYA is. You can certainly use them to bring up your CYA if you still need it.

Last chemcial check was 55 on CYA, but I've had to add around 3" of water since then from evaporation, backwash, and I did a little vacuum to waste. These days (95+ air temps, water is 86-88) I'm having to run my SWG at 80% for 12 hrs pump time to keep levels in check. I am aware of stagnated water issues when not pumping and having pucks in the skimmer from past times, although I have to say I've never had any issue or problem from it.

Just trying to see if there is any problem(s) regarding the SWG, its plates, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.