Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aireation of water ..

1. Back To Top    #1

Aireation of water ..

What does the aireation (sp) of pool water help do? I remember reading it once but cant find it any more ....
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Aeration of pool water helps to raise pH, its typically used when you have high alk and want to lower it. you add acid to lower the pH to 7.0 and then aerate it back up to 7.4-7.6 and drop it back down again.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

3. Back To Top    #3
    What are some methods of aeration you can use on a pool. Right now I have the thermal cover on it trying to get /keep some heat in the pool.
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    I went with the "pool cooler" method, its nothing fancy, just a 1 1/2" pvc threaded elbow joint connected to a ~2 foot long pvc pipe.

Get the hayward eyeball removal tool from your local pool store, ran me ~$2.99 or so, and then simply pull out the jet and replace with the pvc elbow (screw in), point the top straight up and attach the pipe so that it sticks out of the water, aim it so that it creates the most amount of bubbles.

the pool cooler part has a T-joint (capped on both sides) with holes drilled in it to cause the water to spray across the pool, it is intended to cool down the water via evaporation.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

5. Back To Top    #5
    At this point in the early pool season am I better to control the PH using borax until the solar cover comes off or should I remove the cover and control it by aeration? Does anyone have pics of Duraleigh's creation I didnt see any on the Pool Cooler thread. Is it also true that borax "locks" PH ?
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6
    With a cover on much of the time, mildly high TA levels don't usually cause serious issues. Meanwhile extreme TA levels would require some action. So what you need to do all depends on your test results, which you didn't list.

Borax buffers PH, much as TA does, further slowing PH changes. So it doesn't exactly lock the PH as much as it noticeably slows the rate of change. Borax will also tend to reduce the amount of chlorine you need, which can reduce some of the causes of PH rise (ie the SWG cell will be on less so less aeration).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    These are my test results from this evening .....

Temp 67
    FC 10
    CC 0
    TC 10
    TA 80
    CYA 50
    PH 6.8
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

8. Back To Top    #8
    any place we can buy somthing like that when were not as smart as the creator or have the tools?

9. Back To Top    #9
    I would use borax and soon. Get your PH up to at least 7.0 as soon as possible. Aeration is mostly effective when TA is higher.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School