To finish or not to finish?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I am hoping to be under way with digging and gunite within 30 days... I am in NJ. And I am guessing that I will not be getting any swimmable days this year. So, my question is... should I have the entire pool finished... get the water in and let the DiamondBrite cure for 30 days, then spend more $ to winterize it all and open it again in the spring.... or should I just get everything completed this year except plaster, and not hook up any equipment. Then in the spring just get it plastered and equipment running and swim?

What would I do over the winter to make sure the gunite shell is OK? Any danger from freezing? I have high ground water at at times. Even with hydrostatic plugs, if there is NOT a lot of water in the pool, and teh bottom is exposed to the elements is there danger of ground freezing under the pool and causing issues? Will shell need extra cleaning before plastering if it spends the winter getting fouled up with junk, since I guess I can't cover it without water below to support the cover.

What is the best way to go?

IMHO, wait if the shell isn't ready for finishing by the early/mid August time frame. While the initial cure of plaster and Diamond Brite type finishes is about 27 days, it still continues to cure. You don't want to close much before it gets to be about 3 months old (preferably more) or the pH will rise slowly but in an uncontrolled manner and some form of scale can form.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.