Put too much algaecide in a pool..HELP

Jun 17, 2012
Ok I was helping mother in law open pool grabbed the gallon of algecide and dumped it all in :hammer:
it is an in ground pool 10,000 gallon. shes having a hart attack over this. What do we do?
It was phoenix algaecide c10 i think.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Charley

Welcome to TFP!

Was it "Phoenix Algaecide CU7"? That algaecide contains copper, which could be a serious problem. If you add too much copper it can cause stains that are difficult to remove. If it is CU7 you should lower the PH down to between 7.0 and 7.2 right away and keep it down there, add some sequestrant, and get the copper level tested.

Phoenix standard-10 algaecide is

Alkyl* dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 9.96 %

Dialkyl* methyl benzyl ammonium chloride 0.04 %

This is a cheaper type of algaecide. It tends to foam and has a smell and taste that some people don't like. 1 gallon is about 5 times the recommend dosage for a 10,000 gallon pool according to the label instructions. There is not much you can do other than wait for the chlorine to break it down. You could go to shock level to accelerate the process.

I don't think that there would be any safety issues, but I don't know for sure. There might be some minor adverse reactions caused to swimmers, such as bad taste, eye irritation or skin irritation.You could contact the manufacturer to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.