Hayward Superpump 3yr old motor froze

bestlandlord

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2007
Massachusetts
This was a new complete pump motor assembly 3 years ago, I installed by just changing the 2 pipes from the old to the new. The original same hayward with 1hp tan motor lasted maybe 15 years.The motor wouldn't start right away last year hummed. Blew out motor slots with air, turned impeller, there was a material almost like salt crystals coming out of aluminum casting slots on pump end of moter. The motor started and then ran fine all summer. Today same issue. Only a lot of crystals and corrosion. Upon complete disassembly the motor itself is frozen solid. So my questions are (I have a salt water generator) is this a salt water leak or salt water related problem,(I did not taste the crystals to see if they were salt) and if so does the salt water cause a pump/motor to fail this quickly. I read a lot on this forum before I did the salt water and I don't recall any connection between salt water and pump/motor life expectancy. I hope the answer is no because I spent a lot of money on the salt water setup. If yes is there a pump/motor that will withstand the saltwater? Thank You for your attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.