New DIG220, default salt calibration level?

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Just about to set my Digital to start producing chlorine. Ive added the required amount of salt as listed on the readout, but when in the maintenance menu I noticed it already had a value for salt calibration (it wasnt 0%, it was actually +12%)

Is that normal? Did the factory actually calibrate it before shipping? I had to drop it down to 2700ppm before it was close to 0%, which means I need to add some more salt (not a big deal)....before I go adding to match the screen, I was curious if the +12% was a calibration that I should leave.

Poolsean said:
I'd recommend just letting it run a day to let the salt fully dissolve and balance throughout the pool. THEN, test the salt and match the DIG to your salt test result. I wouldn't be too concerned with the % it's on now.

Yeah by then the salt had about a day to dissolve.

I guess my question should be are the strips accurate enough to calibrate to? I know Ive read a few horror stories around here. Im tempted to get the pool store to test it, but with my luck Ill end up with a completely different value from them too.

They are accurate enough. Just make sure your hands are dry when taking a strip out, close it back promptly so the remaining strips are not exposed to moisture, and follow the instructions on the side of the bottle. If you happen to get another bottle in the future, do not mix strips and bottles. The scale on the side of the bottle is accurate for that batch of strips.

Poolsean said:
They are accurate enough. Just make sure your hands are dry when taking a strip out, close it back promptly so the remaining strips are not exposed to moisture, and follow the instructions on the side of the bottle. If you happen to get another bottle in the future, do not mix strips and bottles. The scale on the side of the bottle is accurate for that batch of strips.

Interesting you mention this.

I just sampled my water....used a strip, left it in about 1oz of water in a shot glass until the yellow thing in top turned brown(ish). Reading was 5.8 which equates to 2500 ppm.

Took the exact same sample to pool store that used a Myron L analog meter. Their meter showed 2800-2900.

Which to believe? Or maybe just split the difference?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.