What the heck happened?

lmhock

Jun 4, 2012
Following the advice I'd received on here, our pool was looking great. Chemical levels were all in check and the water was a nice clear blue.

Yesterday evening the water level was a little low so we put the hose in the pool. Unfortunately both my husband and I forgot about it and we ended up adding about 4-5 inches of water to the pool. When we woke up this morning, we found our pool to be a nice, greenish tint and remembered the hose. I figured the chlorine levels must be low so I ran all of the tests to see what I needed to add. My results were:

TC = 4.5 ppm
CC = 0.5 ppm
pH = 7.5
TA = 170
CYA = 50
CH = 470
Salt = 2640 ppm

We added two bags of salt to the pool yesterday and I've been adding CYA over the last week or so to bring the levels up to 70-80 ppm. The filter ran the entire time the pool was filing.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on and how I can fix it? We have guests from TX coming in on Tuesday and we were planning on lots of pool parties this week! Help!

Yes, we fill it from a well and we do have hard water.

Yes, it's a clear greenish color. We took a water sample in to a pool store yesterday (before filling) and they found no metals in the water. I know that pool store test results are notoriously inaccurate, however I don't have any other way to test for metals on my own.

You have metals in the water almost positively. You should be able to add a good quality sequestrant to clear the water. Jack's magic is good. Others more familiar will probably list some others.

Richard320 said:
It's probably iron in the water. Diluted, it will be a pale yellow-orange. And mixed with the blue color you see in a pool, green.

Ahhhh....that makes sense. I know our well water has a lot of iron in it. I guess I'm off to get the sequestrant. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.