Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Never did a backwash myself. Taking over from my pool service in a week or two. Have a 48' DE filter, says it takes 4.8# or 10 coffee cans. I don't drink coffee.... Pool School says add 80%, so about 4#, after each backwash. Does 4# translate to "cups"? The previous owner left a 2 cup measure in the DE bag. I may just bring home a 10# scale from work and weigh 4# worth... I could see DE having different densities depending on humidity.

DE has a bulk density of about 20 pounds per cubic foot. 4.8 pounds of DE will have a volume of about 0.24 cubic feet (230 fluid ounces, 7.18 quarts or 1.8 gallons).

4 pounds = about 24 cups.

Also, note that most pool stores sell a 1 pound DE scoop (about 48 ounces).

Do you have the DE yet? You might consider switching to fibreclear or some competitor's cellulose product. They come with a measure in the bag.

And... you may want to go a little beyond a backwash. It's actually not all that difficult to take apart, especially if you are "handy". I have some pictures of how much DE was stuck to my grids after backwashing in this thread.

DE is "diatomite EP-300" (by EP Minerals), have about 20# left. Pool stays very clear, why use something finer that just requires more frequent backwashes and costs more?

Some people have concerns about releasing DE into the waste stream, the substitutes tend to be made from cellulose and is considered more biodegradable. One word of caution about DE, it is an inhalation hazard, wear a good dust mask when handling, this stuff is like baby powder and will form clouds if there is any wind blowing.

Ike

I am required to add 6 lbs of DE to my freshly cleaned filters. I have a 24 ounce scoop naturally I'd think I'd need to add 96 total oz (4scoops). unfortunately I'm not sure that is correct. I have a bathroom scale but I don't exactly trust it. Help please!

I am required to add 6 lbs of DE to my freshly cleaned filters. I have a 24 ounce scoop naturally I'd think I'd need to add 96 total oz (4scoops). unfortunately I'm not sure that is correct. I have a bathroom scale but I don't exactly trust it. Help please!
If you have a DE scoop, just use it and don't worry about it. Millions of people use them successfully. Also remember that if it's just after a backwash and not a full teardown and cleaning, you only want about 80% of the DE charge.

I switched to zeofiber a year ago and haven't looked back. Just takes 12 cups and washes off the filters much easier. I just washed my filters without taking them out! Just removed top plate and hosed them down. DE never came off easily. Pool is just as clear if not clearer. So I just backwash for a minute, remove cover and top plate, and clean in place. That way don't have to wonder how much crud stayed behind.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.