Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Moved into new house, not sure if skimmer is working as well as it could. Water level is about halfway up skimmer opening, not much gets sucked in. I have 2 drains that go to pump (one shut off), and the skimmer (other shut off). Should I shut the drain pipe so all is getting pulled through the skimmer line (so it sucks more)? I could reset auto pool fill to an inch lower. What's the best approach? Skimmer (below basket) has 2 holes/pipes, one covered with that's covered with a rotatable plate. What do they do?

Our neighborhood association mows around the pool and outside the fence, blowing grass into pool once a week. Takes "forever" for it to get skimmed off. Also big oak that drops a few leaves daily.

Is there a door (weir) on the skimmer entrance?

One if the holes in the skimmer goes to the pump the other typically goes to the floor drain or sometimes and equalizer in the wall.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

No door, just fairly large opening (maybe 6" tall x 16" wide x 18" to the center of the basket).
The cover is 100% covering one hole. The other is "sucking", just looks like it's not doing much (debris is not swirling or getting sucked downward)
I think I'll drop the water level an inch and see if it does better.
Closing the 3" ine to the drain (at the pump) won't damage the pump will it? Still has a 3" line to the skimmer.

Need to add the weir to keep the debris from floating back out ... greatly helps the skimming action.

There are some that have spring loaded pins to hold the door on place.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I second the need for the weir, it also increases the local surface flow velocity so that surface debris further into the pool will get pulled into skimmer...resulting in much more effective surface skimming.

Where to buy a pool weir that is 18" wide? I searched a little and it seems 12" is the widest I found. I am handy, any DIY instructions around? Buy 2 and splice together?

After getting farther into it, where the tile changes to plastic, it's actually 8.5" wide x 5.75" high... looks more "standard".

edit: Cover says "Pentair", but nothing on the skimmer. http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-WEIR-FLAP ... B003UNWVN8
This one on another site says 8" x 5"... think that' a fit?

edit#2: Actually just found this one that looks closer to correct: http://www.sears.com/pentair-8-1-2-in-w ... ockType=G1

After looking at the above manual at the Pentair site, it's definitely this one. Now I know what the equalizer port does, and can safely order the door. Thanks guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bought a new Door ($19 incl shipping at Amazon), and works great. Can actually see water flowing in the right direction! Now if I can get the community mowers to aim their chute in the other direction!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.